2016 Financial Aid Portfolio
As you prepare to officially become a UK student, please read this booklet and complete all of the necessary steps to ensure your place in the incoming class. These steps are meant to guide you through the process of becoming a Wildcat by registering for your "see blue." U Orientation and accepting your financial aid, academic scholarships or loans. At the University of Kentucky we are committed to helping you understand your student finances so that you will be prepared to succeed at UK.
What to do next:
Your link blue account gives you access to tools like myUK for registering
for classes, viewing grades and other student computing resources.
1. Locate your temporary passcode and UK ID number provided in your acceptance letter.
2. Go to newstudent.uky.edu to activate your link blue account.
3. Login and follow the directions to activate your link blue username and password.
For step-by-step directions through the activation wizard, go to uky.edu/ukit/help/linkblue#activate
Freshmen admitted for the fall semester must complete this step by May 1. Your link blue account must be activated to select your "see blue." U orientation.
If you need assistance, contact the "see blue." U Orientation office at 859-257-3256 or at seeblueU@uky.edu
- Login to myUK.uky.edu using your link blue username and password.(For forgotten IDs and passwords, contact the UKAT Service Desk at 859-218-4357.)
- Navigate to the “Budget Tab.”*
- Review budget, cost of tuition, housing and dining.
- Accept the “Terms and Conditions of Receiving Financial Aid.”
- Accept your financial aid.
- Check myUK.uky.edu. Navigate to the “Documents Tab” to determine if items are missing or incomplete for your financial aid application. Federal and state financial aid will not appear on your bill until all missing items are completed.
- If you are planning to attend the University of Kentucky in fall 2016 and plan to accept your Academic and/or William C. Parker Scholarship, please accept your scholarship online at myUK.uky.edu no later than May 1, 2016.
- To accept your scholarship, please visit myUK.uky.edu and reference that terms and conditions document sent with your scholarship award letter.
Notify the financial aid office about scholarships that you are receiving from outside the university; use the “Outside Scholarship Resource Form”
located at www.uky.edu/financialaid/frequent-used-forms.
Federal Direct Loan borrowers
- All borrowers must complete the electronic Master PromissoryNote (eMPN). First-time borrowers must complete entrance counseling prior to the disbursement of loan funds at www.studentloans.gov.
Federal Perkins Loan borrowers
- If you are awarded and accept the Federal Perkins Loan, you must complete entrance counseling and first-time borrowers are required to complete the electronic Master Promissory Note.
- After you accept the Federal Perkins Loan, UK’s loan servicer, Heartland ECSI, Inc., will email you instructions for completing entrance and promissory note
- Requirements are due by September 15 or the Perkins Loan will be canceled.
- Beginning April 15, 2016, your parent can apply for a 2016-17 academic year Parent PLUS Loan at www.studentloans.gov.
- Students whose parents are denied a PLUS Loan due to adverse credit may qualify for up to an additional $4,000 unsubsidized federal student loan.
Direct Stafford Loan Limits (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
- Parents who apply for a Federal PLUS Loan must not have an adverse credit history. A credit check will be performed during the application process. You may obtain an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history. A parent PLUS borrower must undergo initial entrance financial counseling. More information located at studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/plus.
- Alternative student loans are private commercial loans offered by financial institutions to fund education expenses. Alternative loans usually reqire a credit check and a low debt-to-income ration. Students with little to no credit history often need a credit-worthy co-signer. Also, the interest rate for private loans can vary based on the borrower and co-signer's credit score and history.
- The following table shows the maximum amount of money you may borrow each academic year in Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans as well as the total or aggregate amount you may borrow.
- Confirm and sign your housing contract.
- Review on-campus Dining Plan options at uky.campusdish.com
- Calculate an estimate of basic living expenses for attending UK at seeblue.com/calculator.
#8. Compare Financial Aid Award Package to Annual Budget
- Compare your annual financial aid award package total and your annual budget to develop a plan to cover any financial gaps. To learn more about this process and review your options, please schedule an appointment with your financial aid counselor.
- Financial aid disbursement begins 10 days before the start of the term for full-time students with complete files. Pell Grants, CAP Grants, KEES funds and aid for part-time students are disbursed after the add/drop period ends (normally after the fifth class day).
- Financial aid recipients with pending aid may be eligible for book vouchers and are notified via email prior to the first day of classes. Book vouchers can be used to purchase books and school supplies before financial aid is disbursed.
- Enroll in direct deposit for your refund via myUK.uky.edu.
- Students are billed at the beginning of each month via an e-statement until outstanding balances are paid in full. Late payments is subject to a 1.25% late fee.
- Establish Guest Access for parents and guardians viamyUK.uky.edu to allow easy access for payments on student accounts.
- Payments are made online viamyUK.uky.edu.
- For further questions, contact your financial aid counselor. You can find their contact information at seeblue.com/facounselors
- Student financial aid is a yearly process. For the 2017-18 academic year, you will need to reapply in October.
- Visit the www.uky.edu/affordability website throughout the semester.
- Schedule an appointment with your financial aid counselor to review your financial aid award package.
- Take note of important dates and deadlines regarding financial responsibilities.
Need to contact a Financial Aid Counselor? Click here for more information.
*The budget that appears on myUK under the “Budget Tab” is an estimated cost of attendance, determined by your current residency classification, living arrangements, full-time enrollment and program of study. This budget uses average costs and covers everything from tuition to miscellaneous personal expenses
1 Except those whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS loan.
2 These limits also apply to dependent students whose parents are unable to borrow a PLUS loan.
3 The numbers in parentheses represent the maximum amount that may be subsidized.