Understanding the Student Financial Aid Process:
- After submitting the FAFSA you will receive an email notificationconfirming the application has been processed. You may log in to your FAFSA to review and/or change information. The FAFSA determines an estimated Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that is used to determine your eligibility for financial aid.
- The UK financial aid office will put together your financial aid package and will notify you when the awards can be viewed in the financial aid section on the myUK portal.
- Sometimes additional information may be required for us to complete the application process. We will contact you but the status may be viewed under the documents tab in the financial aid section on the myUK portal.
If you have been chosen for verification:
- Verification is the process of documenting the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Approximately 30 percent of all FAFSA applicants are selected for verification, It requires the completion of a verification form in addition to providing supporting financial documentation. If selected, you will receive notification from the UK financial aid office and KHEAA with instructions on how to proceed. Our state agency, KHEAA, has been contracted to perform the verification services on behalf of UK. You will be required to submit all information through the KHEAA website at www.kheaa.com.
- To expedite the verification process, follow the steps necessary for importing your (and your parents, if applicable) IRS tax data into your FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available on FAFSA website at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Whether or not you are selected for verification, you must complete the IRS Data Retrieval process. If you have not already done so, please complete this step as soon as you have filed your federal income tax return. If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you may be required to provide a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript. Tax filers can request a transcript from the IRS free of charge. Follow the instructions on your verification form to determine if you need to attach acopy of your transcript.
- If there are any differences between your application information and your verification documents, KHEAA may send corrections electronically to have your information reprocessed.
- Verification must be completed before UK will release any federal grant or loan funds toward your UK bill.
- When the verification process is completed you may receive: 1) a revised Student Aid Report (SAR) reflecting changes made and/or 2) a new award notification based on your verified Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- If additional information is required you will be contacted. You may also check on your status under the document tab in the finacial aid section on the myUK portal.