Understanding the Student Financial Aid Process:
- About 4 weeks after you submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Processor, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you file the FAFSA electronically and give an email address, all notifications will be electronic; otherwise notifications will be via paper. The SAR contains important information and needs to be carefully reviewed. On the front page, at the top right there will be an entry that looks like EFC: XXXXX
- In the example above XXXXX should be a number. If there is no number, your FAFSA could not be processed due to missing or incomplete information. You must correct the information and mail the SAR back to the processor or make changes electronically.
- In Section 2, items appearing in bold type require an answer. You must provide in the answer to the right of the question on line or in the space provided on the paper SAR and submit the changes electronically or mail the changes on the paper SAR back to the processor. Several messages may appear on the front of the SAR that indicate something is wrong or missing. Listed below are the most common problems and how to fix them.
You have not registered for selective service:
- If you are female, write "Female" on your SAR next to that message.
- If you are male and have registered for selective service please submit proof/documentation to the Financial Aid Office.
- If you are a male and have not registered for selective service see instructions following the message.
You have been chosen for verification:
- Verification is the process of documenting the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It requires the completion of a verification form in addition to providing supporting financial documentation to be submitted to the Student Financial Aid Office. If this message appears on your SAR and you expect to enroll at the University of Kentucky, you will receive a verification form from UK.
- To expedite the verification process, follow the steps necessary for importing your (and your parents, if applicable) IRS tax data into your FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool available on FAFSA website at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Whether or not you are selected for verification, you must complete the IRS Data Retrieval process. If you have not already done so, please complete this step as soon as you have filed your federal income tax return. If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you may be required to provide a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript. Tax filers can request a transcript from the IRS free of charge. Follow the instructions on your verification form to determine if you need to attach acopy of your transcript.
- Important: Effective with the 2012-2013 academic year, the Student Financial Aid Office is no longer able to accept the tax filer’s copy of a federal income tax return as proof of federal tax information. Tax filers and non-tax filers may be required to provide copies of other important tax documents, such as W-2 Wage and Tax Statements.
- If there are any differences between your application information and your verification documents, the Student Financial Aid Office may send corrections electronically to have your information reprocessed.
- Verification must be completed before UK will process your financial aid request. If you do not provide the documents requested on time, you will not receive federal student aid, and you might not receive aid from other non-federal sources.
- When the verification is completed you may receive: 1) a revised Student Aid Report (SAR) reflecting changes made and/or 2) an award notification based on your verified Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- If your application is selected for verification and the verification form you received is marked ‘Dependent’, you and your parents must complete and sign the form. Read the verification form carefully and follow all instructions. Submit the completed and signed form to the FAO (Financial Aid Office) and attach the documentation indicated within the verification form.
- If your application is selected for verification and the verification form you received is marked marked ‘Independent’, you and your spouse, if married, msut complete and sign the form. Your parents' information is not required. Read the verification form carefully and follow all instructions. Submit the completed and signed form to the FAO (Financial Aid Office) and attach the documentation indicated within the verification form.
Your social security number does not match with your name:
- Ensure that the social security number on the SAR is correct. This message usually appears when a person marries but does not change their name with the Social Security Administration. To correct this error, send a copy of your social security card with your new name and social security number to the Financial Aid Office.
- These are just a few common examples of messages on the SAR. If your SAR has a message that you're not sure what to do about, contact the financial aid office.