Please note you will need to have the following prepared BEFORE you begin the online application
- A curriculum vitae (resume) highlighting your academic and community achievements and/or engagements.
- A brief, well articulated answer (no more than 800 words) to ONE of the three possible essay questions:
- “The past is never dead. It’s not even past” – William Faulkner Does this observation resonate with you? If so, how? If not, why not?
- Susan Sontag wrote that “silence remains, inescapably, a form of speech” (The Aesthetics of Silence, 1967). Write about an issue or a situation when you remained silent, and explain how silence may speak in ways that you did or did not intend.
- What is a humanistic education, and why should we care?
- The names of two recommendation providers (see more information in attached instructions)
- Your unofficial college transcript. Download a PDF of your UK transcript from MyUK. If you have attended other colleges or universities, we will accept Xeroxed or PDF copies of official or unofficial transcripts from those institution.
The Gaines Paper Application is available at the bottom of this page:
See Instructions/attachments at the botton of this page
- The application deadline is Friday, February 1st by 4:00 p.m. All parts of the application must be submitted by that time.
- Notification of initial screening results will be emailed to all applicants by late February 2019.
- Individual interviews with selected candidates will be held early March 2019. Members of the Gaines Fellowship Advisory Committee will conduct 30-minute interviews at the Bingham Davis House (218 East Maxwell Street), Gaines Center for the Humanities. If you are invited for an interview, you will be given more information about the nature of the interview when you make your appointment.
- All candidates will be notified of the selection results in writing by April 1st, 2019.
Tips and Hints
- Stop by the office if you have any questions.
- All majors are encouraged to apply. There have been Gaines fellows selected from virtually every college at UK.
- The Gaines Fellowship is an opportunity to expand one's horizons.
- Gaines Fellows obtain a disproportionate number of external scholarships won by UK students. Applicants are strongly encouraged to look at these programs!
- If you have any questions, ask a current fellow. They have been through the process before, and will be more than willing to give you pointers on how to apply!