Honors students are able to count a graduate course for Honors course credit by completing the graduate student course criteria as identified by the syllabus. To earn Honors credit, courses that are considered graduate-level must meet the conditions outlined below. Additionally, students must request approval for a graduate-level course to count for Honors by the end of the 3rd week of the participating semester. Approval is not automatic, and retro-active approval cannot be granted.
Approval Process For Courses Numbered 500-Level or 400-Level With G suffix:
- The course syllabus must identify additional projects/papers/assignments/tests that graduate students are required to complete beyond what undergrads in the course are required to complete. A grading structure difference alone is not sufficient for approval.
- After determining that there are additional requirements for graduate students, contact the professor and seek approval to be held to the graduate student course criteria and be graded as a graduate student.
- Send the syllabus and an acknowledgement from the professor that you will be graded as a graduate student.
- Syllabus and professor acknowledgement must be submitted to your Honors advisor by the end of week 3 of the participating semester.
Approval Process For Courses Numbered 600-Level or Above:
- Provide a copy of the syllabus to your advisor. A 600-level or above course is a graduate-level course. An exception will be processed allowing this course to count for Honors.
Courses numbered 600-level and above are graduate-level courses. 500-level courses and 400-level G suffix courses allow the professor to teach the course to both undergraduate and graduate students. Courses taught at the 500-level or 400-level courses with a G suffix can count towards Honors course requirements, provided that the student completes the graduate-level work assigned in the course, as defined by the syllabus. The syllabus must indicate that there are additional requirements (assignments/papers/projects) for graduate students, and the Honors student must complete the graduate student course requirements with the professor’s prior approval and oversight. Students must request Honors Program approval for a graduate-level course to count for Honors by the end of the 3rd week of the semester. A copy of the syllabus is required as well as an acknowledgement from your professor that you will be graded as a graduate student.