Search form


Travel Coverage

For Personal Travel – Anywhere in the World

If you have a medical emergency while you are more than 100 miles away from home, you don’t have to face it alone. With one simple phone call, you can be connected to Assist America’s staff of medically trained, multilingual professionals who can advise you in a medical emergency, 24x7. No matter where you are in the world, they will help you access or receive:

  • Pre-qualified, English –speaking professionals working in hospitals, pharmacies, and dental offices,
  • Medical consultation, evaluation, and referral,
  • Hospital admission,
  • Critical care monitoring,
  • Emergency medical evacuation,
  • Transportation to return home or to a rehabilitation facility,
  • Lost prescription assistance,
  • Legal and interpreter services, and more

You or your family (whether traveling together or separately) can activate Assist America’s emergency services with one call to the number on your Assist America ID card (see attachment). Assist America pays for 100% of the services it arranges for and provides. For further assistance, call 1-800-872-1414 (within the US) or 609-986-1234 (outside the US)

Assist America ID Card


When Traveling for Extended Periods of Time

                When you’re a Blue Cross Blue Shield Plan member, you take your healthcare benefits with you – across the country, and around the world with the UK Indemnity Plan. This plan, also referred to as the BlueCard Program, gives you access to doctors and hospitals almost everywhere, giving you the peace of mind that you’ll be able to find the healthcare provider you need.  See the attached for more information. For further assistance, call 1-800-810-BLUE (2583)

BlueCard Brochure

BlueCard Worldwide Claim Form

​Expectations when incurring medical claims out if country

Generally speaking, foreign hospitals are not willing to file for insurance for ER visits and short stays. They expect cash via your personal credit card. You can file the claim with Anthem when you return home.  If the hospital stay is going to be for several days, foreign hospitals become willing to work with the insurance company.  When this occurs, Anthem will negotiate with the hospital and pay the claim.

When Traveling Abroad on University of Kentucky Business

                UK has an employee travel assistance plan that is called Executive Assistance, and it offers executive and emergency services for UK employees traveling on UK business. It offers evacuation in the case of a political crisis, as well as assistance with replacement of lost documents and other emergencies. This service is available to UK employees traveling on UK business, regardless of their health insurance plan. Again, this is an assistance service for crises, but is not a medical insurance policy. You should carry your Executive Assistance card with you as well, when you travel on UK business. Please refer to the Risk Management site (link below) for more information.

Risk Management