UK Human Resources

Employee Education Program Frequently Asked Questions

1. Are tuition waivers subject to tax?

Up to a value of $5,250, no, but graduate level waivers in excess of $5,250 per calendar year are subject to taxation. The graduate tuition waived in excess of $5,250 per calendar year will be split between the remaining pay periods in the year to be reported through the employee’s payroll as (imputed) income which increases their gross wages. Payroll taxes are calculated based on the gross wages. The payroll taxes are unique to each employee based on their gross wages, how many exceptions they claim on their w-4, tax-sheltered benefits, etc.

2.  At which schools may I utilize the tuition waiver?

University of Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky University, Kentucky State University, Morehead State University, Western Kentucky University, Murray State University (requires a Murray State form to be completed), Northern Kentucky University, University of Louisville, or any of the KCTCS community colleges including Bluegrass Community and Technical College (formerly Lexington Community College). If taking classes at KCTCS or BCTCS please indicate in the available space provided the college or university where you are taking the course. (i.e. KCTCS/Jefferson Community College)

3.  Why can't I use the waiver at Sullivan University, Midway College, Transylvania University, Georgetown College, any other privately owned in-state school or any public schools outside of the state of Kentucky?

The Kentucky Council on Post Secondary Education requires all public universities or colleges in Kentucky to participate in this program.  Each school must allow full time employees of their own or another state public school to have up to 6 hours of tuition per semester waived.  Privately owned Kentucky schools and out of state schools are not governed by the council on Post Secondary Education and therefore do not participate in this program.

4.  What is the maximum number of hours I can take per semester?

The policy has been amended to allow an increase from six hours to a maximum of eight hours per semester. This means that if you are taking two four hour classes, you are eligible to have your tuition waived for the entire 8 hours. These 8 hours will be deducted from your total of 18 hours for the academic year, leaving you a total of 10 hours for the remainder of the academic year. If you are unsure of the number of hours you are available, please contact the EEP program administrator.  This change affects only University of Kentucky employees attending classes at the University of Kentucky.  Only six (6) hours of tuition per semester will be waived at any school other than the University of Kentucky.

5.  Can I take online or distance learning courses with the tuition waiver?

Yes.  If the courses are taken at U.K. If taking online or distance learning classes at any of the participating schools listed in FAQ #1, please contact that school directly for approval of tuition waiver eligible courses. Class must still be for college credit.  Certification and audited type courses are not eligible through the EEP program.

6.  Why didn't the waiver cover all of the fees related to my class?

Some University of Kentucky classes have fees that are not eligible to be covered by the tuition waiver.  If you are unsure whether all of your fees will be covered, please contact the EEP program.  In addition, schools other than UK are not required to waive any fees for UK employees and are only required to waive the tuition costs.

7.  Can I take Independent Study courses under the EEP?

Yes.  Independent Study courses are eligible for the tuition waiver but please be aware that the Independent Study program has separate deadlines that must be adhered to. Please contact Independent Study for registration windows and deadlines.

8.  Do the deadlines on the EEP website apply to all schools?

No.  Each school has its own deadlines for payment.  Please review the academic calendar of your respective school for payment deadlines.  The safest thing to do is to turn in an EEP form immediately after registering for your classes to ensure that your school receives the information in time to process your waiver.

9.  Can my dependent use my tuition waiver if I am not using it?

Yes.  If you are NOT currently utilizing EEP your eligible dependent may elect to participate in the Family Education Program (FEP) to receive a tuition discount based on your years of consecutive regular full-time service at U.K.

10.  If I don't take any classes in one semester, can I take more than six credit hours the next semester to make up for it?

No.  Unused credit hours do not carry over to other semesters.

11.  If I drop a class after the semester has begun, will I be responsible for payment?

Maybe.  You will only be required to pay for the non-refunded portion of the class if EEP has already waived six hours of tuition for that semester.  For example:  If you had six hours of courses at UK total and dropped one mid semester, you would not be responsible for paying for the class that you dropped.  If you had six hours of courses at UK and dropped one after the deadline to get a full refund but picked another course up to take in its place, you would be responsible for paying for the un-refunded portion of the class that you dropped because EEP would be waiving the other six hours that you were enrolled in that semester.  It is now required that you submit an amended form if you drop or add any classes. The amended form should include the date the class was dropped or added. Without this notification adjustments cannot be made to your account.

12.  If I terminate employment with UK prior to the end of the semester, will I be required to pay for the classes that I had waived through the EEP for that semester?

No.  As long as you are an eligible employee on the first day of classes, EEP funding will not be removed from your account.

13.  When should I submit my tuition waiver form?

An EEP or tuition waiver form should be submitted to the Employee Benefits Office once registration is complete. If any changes are made to the class schedule an amended form should be submitted indicating the changes that have been made. For example, if dropping a class, re-fax a copy of the original form marking through the class being dropped and indicating to the side what has been done. For further inquires about changes in class information please contact the EEP & FEP Program administrator at (859) 257-8772. Forms may be submitted via fax at (859) 323-8494 or in person at 115 Scovell Hall.