1. Should I receive compensation if I am on-call?
    The Fair Labor Standards Act provides an employee who is required to remain on-call on the employer's premises or so close thereto that he or she cannot use the time effectively for his or her own purposes, is considered to be working while on-call. An employee who is not required to remain on the employer's premises, but is merely required to leave word at his/her home or with the University official where he or she may be reached is not considered to be working while on-call.

    More information on HR Policy and Procedure 30.0

  2. Must overtime work be pre-approved?
    Yes, there are no exceptions. Employees can be disciplined for working overtime if it has not been pre-approved.

    More information on HR Policy and Procedure 30.0

  3. How do I correct a social security number, which has been incorrectly entered in SAP?
    The departmental business office should send a memo stating the correct number as well as a copy of the social security card to: Payroll Department, 340 Peterson Service Building, University of Kentucky.
  4. What are I-9's and why are they necessary? 
    In 1986, Congress passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act, a law which requires every employer to implement employee authorization for those individuals who are legally eligible to work---citizens, naturals and aliens authorized to work in the United States. To comply with this Federal Law, all new employees (regular and temporary, including student employees; part- half- and full-time) are required to complete an Immigration form called the I-9 verification form. New employees are not allowed to work until they have completed the I-9 verification form.

    For more information please visit the I-9 documentation page »

  5. What is the process for changing information in SAP when an employee renews an I-9 because of an expiration date?
    Fax a copy of the new I-9 to the Employment Office using the following number: 859-257-3121. A cover sheet should accompany the I-9 and should be addressed to the attention of Ashley Myer.
  6. When is shift differential paid?
    If a position is approved to receive a differential, the amount shall be added to the regular rate of pay for employees working on second and third shift operations. The employee must work that shift on a regular basis.More information on HR Policy and Procedure 30.0
  7. When should a job evaluation/re-evaluation be initiated
    Positions may change in work content or responsibility. A position may be re-evaluated when there has been a significant change in the required skills and responsibilities.

    The following reasons are not justification for re-evaluating a position: a pending job offer, exceptional qualifications of the employee, employee personality, scarcity of new employees, financial need, relative efficiency, volume of work, length of service, unusual diligence or overtime, and changes in the position's appointment status (i.e. 50% FTE to 100% FTE ).

    More information on HR Policy and Procedure 30.0

  8. What happens during a job evaluation/re-evaluation? 
    An analyst may contact the requestor and conduct a personal or telephone interview with the departmental administrator, budget person or supervisor of the position.

    The analyst reviews the Job Analysis Questionnaire (JAQ), interview notes, supporting data, etc., taking into consideration:

    • Scope and breadth of position's function
    • Level/impact of decision making authority
    • Reporting structure above and below the position

    The analyst reviews duties and responsibilities of the position:

    • Comparing to previous written position description
    • Comparing to other positions of similar duties
    • Comparing to positions of similar scope and responsibility within department, colleges and/or University

    The analyst makes a determination of the appropriate title and grade and contacts the requestor if additional information is needed. The following outcomes are possible:

    • Retain present classification
    • Re-evaluate to a different title and grade (could be higher or lower)

    For more information:

  9. Who initiates a job evaluation/re-evaluation?
    The head of the department, or comparable unit, initiates job evaluation/re-evaluations for exempt and non-exempt positions. HR cannot evaluate positions without the appropriate signatures.

    More information on HR Policy and Procedure 30.0.

  10. Where can copies of position descriptions be obtained? 
    A copy of the most recent description for a position in your area should be available through your departmental administrator or budget person. If not, the departmental administrator or budget person should contact the Compensation Office to request a copy of the description currently on file.
  11. What is the difference between an exempt and a non-exempt position?
    Positions are determined to be exempt or non-exempt based on job duties, responsibilities, salary, and in some cases, minimum education required.The determination is made under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. An exempt position is not eligible for overtime, whereas a non-exempt position should be compensated at time and a half for all hours worked over forty (40) in a workweek.
  12. What happens to the PAR once the PAR Processor receives it?
    Often times when Compensation receives a PAR, it is necessary for the PAR to go through one of the other HR offices for signature approval prior to being approved by a PAR Processor (examples would be new hires, re-hires, temporary employees, FMLs, Workers Compensation, and others).

    Securing signature approvals can sometimes prevent immediate approval by the PAR Processors. Please keep in mind that certain delays may occur while working through this process; however, every effort is made by the Compensation staff to process each PAR by the allotted deadline.

  13. How do you calculate overtime in dual employment with different rates of pay?
    This requires the payment of the gross weighted average calculated weekly. If this situation occurs, please contact the Compensation Office.
  14. Where do I find information related to regulations on travel time? 
    Information concerning state regulations on travel time (please refer to section 7)

    For information concerning out of state regulations, please consult the http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm

    Or you may contact the Compensation Department at 859-257-9555, option 6.

  15. Can an Employer accept someone who is willing to do work on a volunteer basis?
    No, an employer cannot accept someone volunteering for a job that we normally pay for doing.