How It Works

For Regular Full-Time Employees:
Any regular full-time staff employee who has an accrued TDL leave balance of 69 days or more may convert TDL days into one, two, three, or four days of vacation leave (VL) at a conversion rate of three TDL days for one VL day. Full-time employees must retain a minimum balance of 66 TDL days to be eligible for this conversion option. Bonus VL day for employees with perfect attendance: If an employee converts 12 TDL days to four VL days and has had perfect attendance during the previous 12 months, he/she will be granted a fifth vacation day at the time of conversion.

For Regular Part-Time Employees:
For employees working less than full time: For a staff employee who works in a regular position with a full-time equivalent of 0.5 FTE (50%) or greater, conversion is available if the employee has TDL accrual which is a pro rata equivalent to 69 days. Employees must retain a balance of at least 66 days (or the prorated equivalent) of accrued TDL leave after conversion.

Note: For campus (non-UK HealthCare) employees, vacation leave converted from TDL during the April 2016 conversion period will be subject to loss on June 30, 2017. For UK HealthCare employees, converted leave will be subject to loss on Sept. 30, 2017.

How to Convert Temporary Disability Leave (TDL) to Vacation Leave

To convert temporary disability leave to vacation leave, employees should submit a completed and signature-approved Temporary Disability Leave conversion form to Human Resources Office of Employee Relations no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 30, 2016.

  1. Access the Temporary Disability Leave Conversion Form here (or contact your supervisor for details):
  2. Submit the Form, using the instructions on the form (also duplicated here below):
    • UK Campus/College employees: A copy of the form should be forwarded to the employee; the department’s file and the original to HR Employee Relations Office, Room 107, Scovell Hall, Campus 0064 by the deadline indicated above.
    • UK HealthCare + College of Medicine employees: Send completed conversion form (plus one copy) to the Hospital Payroll Department. The Hospital Payroll Department will then forward the original form to HR Employee Relations by the deadline indicated above.