UK Human Resources
What You Need to Know:
The University of Kentucky is proud to offer a variety of benefit plans. The benefits offered by the University include an outstanding retirement plan, competitive health, dental and vision coverage as well as extraordinary educational programs. As an employee eligible for benefits, you may choose to cover yourself, your children up to the age of 26, and your spouse or sponsored dependent and children of a sponsored dependent up to age 26 who live in your household. Verification of relationships may be required (birth certificate, marriage license, etc.). For a more complete listing of UK's benefits and eligibility, visit www.uky.edu/HR/benefits. Or, to view a printer-friendly version of UK's exceptional benefits, please click here.
Retirement Plan - 200% Match!
Retirement savings represent an important part of your total compensation package by ensuring a more financially secure future. When you participate in the 403(b)b retirement plan, you contribute 5% of your base salary and the University matches your contributions with an amount equivalent to 10% of your base salary. Participation in this plan is mandatory for employees age 30 and over. You will be fully vested upon completing three years of continuous, regular, full-time service. Additional retirement saving options and resources are available.
New regular full-time staff accrue 10-15 vacation days per year and enjoy 12 paid holidays annually. After continuous service, vacation leave increases to a maximum of 20 days per year. Regular full-time faculty in ten, eleven and twelve month assignments are entitled to 22 days of vacation leave per fiscal year. Regular full-time staff accrue 12 days of Temporary Disability Leave (TDL), “sick leave” per year. Our family-friendly policy allows “sick leave” to be used not only for oneself, but also to care for children, spouses/sponsored dependents, parents, grandchildren, grandparents, brothers and sisters and others residing in the household. For additional details, see www.uky.edu/HR/policies for policies regarding paid leave.
Health Plan Coverage
UK offers four health plan options. You can decide on the plan and coverage that is best for you and your family’s needs. There are a variety of plan designs to choose from including: Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), either Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Regional Health Plan (RHP), and Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO).
Express Scripts administers the universal prescription benefit for UK. Employees are automatically enrolled in the pharmacy benefit program when enrolled in a health plan. The plan provides 24-hour customer service, web-based drug information, and an integrated mail service pharmacy. Employee Benefits has two dedicated pharmacists on staff to provide prescription co-pay counseling to assist in finding the most cost-effective medications for you and your family.
There are four dental plans offered through two carriers: UK Dental Care and Delta Dental Program. All plans offer a benefit towards basic preventive services for cleaning and office visits two times per year. Additional benefits may be provided based on the plan you choose.
Vision insurance is offered through EyeMed. The vision plan offers savings on eye exams, contact lenses, lens options and accessories, as well as LASIK and PRK laser vision correction procedures.
Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Basic life insurance coverage in the amount of one times your salary is provided at no cost. Additional term life insurance may be purchased in an amount up to five times your annual salary. Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance may be purchased to pay in the case of an accidental death or serious injury. Dependent life insurance for a spouse, sponsored dependent, and/or child(ren) may be purchased in the amount of $5,000, $10,000 or $15,000.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Eligible health care and child/dependent care expenses may be paid with tax-free dollars through flexible spending accounts.These plans are administered by ConnectYourCare. For your convenience, a Flexible Spending Debit Card will be automatically mailed to you upon enrollment to use for eligible health care flexible spending purchases.
Additional benefits are available to purchase with automatic payroll deductions. Benefits include long-term care, universal life, short-term disability, cancer insurance, group home and auto insurance, and pet insurance. These benefits are administered the MPM Group, LLC.
Employee and Family Education Programs
Regular, full-time faculty and staff may receive a tuition-waiver for up to 18 credit hours per academic year through the Employee Education Program. Eligible employees with at least one year of continuous, regular, full-time service who are not utilizing the Employee Education Program may choose to receive a tuition discount (10% - 50%) for their child or spouse/sponsored dependent through the Family Education Program.
Employer Assisted Housing Program
Regular, full-time faculty and staff are eligible for “forgivable loans” of up to $15,000 to purchase homes, condominiums, townhouses and duplexes in the designated neighborhood areas. The loans can be used for down payment and closing cost, rehabilitation or renovation assistance.
Improve your skills or learn new ones via UK’s professional development opportunities including computer classes, supervisory training, The Learning Center (hospital training), safety training and many more.
Health & Wellness Program
Our Registered Dietitians, Health Fitness Specialists and Certified Wellness coaches are here for you. These UK experts are ready to confidentially meet you where you are on your personal path to developing healthful habits. Additionally, we host many community-building programs and events, such as the Lexington Farmers Market @ UK, cooking classes and more.
• BodyShop Fitness – We offer two on-campus gyms and over two dozen group fitness classes a week that are held at varying campus locations for the low cost of $7 per month (or $3.50 biweekly) via payroll deduction.
• Weight Loss Matters – This is a 10-week weight loss program where you set your own goals and then work with our Registered Dietitian to help meet those goals. Weekly class options include on-campus, online, lunch and evening.
• Exercise Consults – Meet one-on-one with our Health Fitness Specialist who will help you identify – and reach – your physical activity goals. Whether you are focused on weight loss, strength training, decreasing back pain or another goal, we will support you.
• Nutrition Consults – We offer the support of our Registered Dietitians on staff, who you may schedule an appointment to connect with in person, over the phone or by email. Whether you are addressing nutrition to help you feel more energized, look your best, feel your best while managing a disease or to help with another goal, we will support you.
• Tobacco Cessation Coaching – This is a research-based, holistic health-coaching program in which participants choose to actively partner with a UK Certified Health & Wellness Coach for 12-weeks to quit tobacco – and stay quit.
Provides strategies and support to build one great place to work with an environment that helps employees be effective and productive, through being able to manage work, family, and personal responsibilities. The Work-Life program provides resources on: flexible work schedules, disability care resources, pet care information, leadership development for staff and faculty, and much more. A few highlighted offerings include:
- Elder Care: This on-site resource center provides support and tools for employees faced with the need to provide care for parents or older family members.
- Work+Life Connections: Free, voluntary counseling services and referral service for employees, their spouses, children and sponsored dependents who are seeking help with personal, couple, family, substance abuse and financial concerns.
- Child Care: The University of Kentucky has partnered with Woodland Early Learning Center to bring quality early education to the UK campus with discounts for employees.