Policy # 92.0: Accident Insurance
The University makes available group accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance coverage for all regular employees with a full-time equivalent (FTE) of 0.75 or greater and others as designated by the University Administrative Regulations.
The group AD&D insurance provides a benefit for an employee and/or the employee’s beneficiary(ies) in the event of accidental death or dismemberment.
- An employee is eligible to enroll, at the employee’s expense, in single or family coverage within the initial 30 days of employment or during any open enrollment period.
- The terms of the group AD&D policy issued by the current insurance carrier, selected by the University, govern the plan.
- The plan provides AD&D benefits for an employee and the employee’s dependent(s) (if elected) 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world. The plan is available in multiples of $5,000 with a minimum coverage of $10,000 and a maximum of $375,000.
- For family coverage, an eligible dependent includes
- Unmarried children under 19 years of age, and
- Unmarried children under 23 years of age who are dependent on the employee for support.
- Under the family plan
- The spouse is covered for one-half the principal sum for which the employee is enrolled;
- Each eligible child is covered for one-tenth of the amount; and
- Children of an employee without a spouse are covered for one-fourth the principal sum, up to a maximum of $15,000.
- This insurance shall cease at the end of the month in which termination occurs, upon retirement, or death, provided all required premiums have been paid and not converted to an individual plan.
Administration of the group AD&D insurance plan is a function of the Human Resources Office of Employee Benefits (Employee Benefits).
- Information on the group AD&D plan may be obtained from Employee Benefits.
- Enrollment forms are processed through Employee Benefits.
- Premium payments are made through payroll deductions.
- An employee on an approved leave without pay shall make arrangements with Employee Benefits to pay the cost of the group AD&D until active employment is resumed, or the benefit ceases.
- Any employee may cancel or decrease the amount of coverage by completing a new enrollment form and submitting the form to Employee Benefits. The change shall be effective on the first day of the month following receipt of the request.
- An employee shall apply for family coverage within 30 days of a qualifying event (marriage, birth or adoption).