Policy # 91.0 Archived Version:
Note: This is not a current version of the policy. View current version. »
Group life insurance coverage is available for regular full-time staff employees and others as designated by the University Administrative Regulations.
The terms of the group life insurance policy issued by the current insurance carrier, selected by the University, are binding on all participants.
1) The University group life insurance is term insurance and no cash value accumulates. The policy provides for payment of a principal sum to a designated beneficiary(ies) upon the death of the employee.
2) The University provides a basic life insurance policy equal to one times the employee's salary at no cost for eligible employees. Coverage under this basic plan takes effect on the first day of work and terminates on the last day of the month in which employment is terminated.
Employees with annual salaries in excess of $750,000 are eligible for coverage equal to one times their annual salary, but must meet insurability requirements as established by the provider. If an employee does not meet insurability requirements, or does not provide evidence of insurability, he/she will receive basic coverage equal to $750,000 only.
3) Optional amounts of term life insurance may be purchased by the employee in addition to the basic coverage. Coverage for new optional life insurance shall be effective on the first day of the month consecutive with or following the date of hire with appropriate enrollment election.
- Optional insurance can be purchased up to a maximum of $1,000,000 in increments of one, two, three, four or five times an employee’s annual salary with medical evidence of insurability . The amount of the optional insurance shall be raised to the next higher increment of $1,000 in cases where the amount selected is not an even multiple of $1,000.
- Enrollment in optional life insurance shall occur within the first 30 days of employment, or during open enrollment.
- Evidence of insurability is not required if the employee signs up during the first 30 days of employment if the employee is electing one, two or three times annual salary with a maximum of $375,000.
- Evidence of insurability is required to sign up for an increase in coverage beyond $375,000 or in coverage level above three times annual salary. Medical evidence is also required when increasing coverage by more than one increment.
- The cost of optional life insurance is impacted as an employee’s salary and age change.
- The effective date of a salary change will be the first day of the month following the month of the salary change.
- The effective date of an age change is the first day of the birth month.
4) An employee may convert, without evidence of insurability, all or part of the coverage to an individual, non-term type policy within 31 days following termination of employment or retirement.
- In the event death should occur during the 31 day period, the amount of insurance which an employee would be eligible to convert shall be paid to the beneficiary(ies) regardless of whether or not application for conversion has been made.
- If an employee does not convert, coverage ends on the last day of the month of termination, retirement or at the end of eligibility for Long Term Disability benefits.
5) The University will not permit an employee to assign the life insurance plan or any portion thereof.
6) Employees hired prior to August 1, 1965 and who were covered by the old Prudential Life Insurance Plan shall continue to have the basic amount of coverage (up to a maximum of $5,000) after retirement. The University pays the premium cost for these individuals.
7) Individuals receiving benefits through the University’s Long Term Disability Plan continue to receive basic coverage and are eligible to participate at the same or decreased level of optional coverage (if any) in effect on the date of disability, until retirement.
Administration of the group life insurance plan is a function of the Human Resources Office of Employee Benefits (Employee Benefits).
1) Information about life insurance is available in Employee Benefits or at the Employee Benefits web site at:http://www.uky.edu/HR/benefits.
- Enrollment forms are processed by Employee Benefits.
- Booklets on life insurance coverage may be obtained from Employee Benefits.
2) Premium payments for employees enrolled in the optional part of the plan are made through payroll deductions.
3) An employee going on an approved leave without pay shall make arrangements with Employee Benefits to pay the cost of optional life coverage, or the benefit will terminate.
4) An employee may cancel or change to a lower optional amount by completing a new enrollment form and submitting the form to Employee Benefits. This change will be effective the first day of the month following receipt of the request.