UK Human Resources
Policy # 85.0 Archived Version:
Note: This is not a current version of the policy. View current version. »
A regular staff employee may be authorized special leave from University employment for reasons other than those normally provided by Human Resources Policy and Procedure (HRP&P). The primary consideration for authorizing a special leave shall be that it serves the best interest of the University.
1) Request for a special leave may include reasons such as
- Additional Education,
- Care of a relative in the immediate family,
- Attendance at a professional meeting, or
- Service temporarily with an outside agency.
2) The appropriate Executive Vice President or the Provost may grant special leave with pay for a period not to exceed 30 days for the purpose of permitting an employee to
- Attend a professional meeting,
- Serve temporarily with an outside agency, or
- For other good cause.
3) Special leave with pay for more than 30 days must be approved by the Board of Trustees.
4) A faculty or staff member may be given a leave without pay with the approval of the President, Provost or appropriate Executive Vice President. Ordinarily this leave shall not be granted for a period of greater than one year. This leave may be extended on application and approval by the appropriate administrative officers. The best interest of the University shall be a major consideration in granting an extension of this leave.
5) A department may approve a special leave without pay for up to a maximum of 10 days within a 12 month period.
6) Special leaves shall be requested and approved prior to the leave being taken.
7) Any applicable leaves shall be applied prior to the initiation of special leave.
The department head is responsible for receiving and evaluating requests for special leaves and forwarding these requests to the appropriate University official.
1) The department head may recommend a special leave by contacting the Associate Vice President of Human Resources and submitting the appropriate documentation.
2) The Associate Vice President of Human Resources shall forward the request to the appropriate University Official for a decision.
3) If the request for special leave is with pay for more than 30 days, and if it is approved by the President, the request shall be forwarded to the Board of Trustees for approval.
4) The department head shall notify the employee of the decision regarding the request for special leave.
5) Upon beginning and return from a special leave, the department head shall submit a Payroll Authorization Record (PAR) indicating the type of special leave and information regarding vacation and/or temporary disability leave and other benefits, as applicable.