UK Human Resources
Policy # 8.0 Archived Version:
Note: This is not a current version of the policy. View current version. »
The University recognizes the need for orientation periods, during which the University and the employee jointly assess the regular staff employee’s performance.
There are two types of employee orientation periods: New Regular Staff Employee Orientation and Transferred Staff Employee Orientation.
New Regular Staff Employee Orientation
A period of orientation shall be required of each new regular staff employee beginning the first day of employment and continuing 90 calendar days. The orientation period shall provide the opportunity to
- Assess the employee’s job performance relative to the job requirements,
- Evaluate the employee’s overall compatibility with the departmental mission,
- Orient the employee to the job, and
- Ensure the employee attends New Employee Orientation no later than 30 calendar days after the first day of employment.
1) During the orientation period, separation from employment shall be in accordance with the provisions of HR P&P 12.0 Separation from Employment.
- If the employee terminates the employment relationship, the employee shall provide and fulfill the proper notice associated with the position they occupy. Generally two weeks is required for nonexempt (hourly) staff and four weeks is required for exempt (salaried) staff.
- If the employee is terminated for reasons which are considered misconduct, the termination shall generally be immediate.
- If the employee is terminated for reasons which are not considered misconduct, the termination shall generally occur after at least one discussion with the employee.
2) During the orientation period, the employee
- May use earned temporary disability leave,
- May not use earned vacation leave, and
- Is not eligible for the grievance process.
Note: All conditions of employment must be met in order to successfully complete the new regular staff employee orientation period (ex: payment through direct deposit, any individual department requirements, etc.).
Transferred Staff Employee Orientation
A period of orientation shall be required of each transferred staff employee beginning the first day of the new position and generally continuing for 90 calendar days. During the orientation period, the employee
- May use earned temporary disability leave, and
- May use earned vacation leave.
Note: At the end of both types of orientation periods, an End of Orientation Evaluation Form shall be completed. If this form is not completed within five working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays), the employee will be considered as having successfully completed the orientation period. An extension of the orientation period may be granted by the Human Resources Office of Employee Relations (Employee Relations) for positions which require extensive on-the-job training or for other extenuating circumstances.
The assessment of job performance is the responsibility of the department head and supervisor. During both types of orientation periods the department shall
- Document the progress or action related to the job performance of the employee; and
- Begin the Performance Evaluation Process (see Human Resources Policy & Procedure 61.0 Performance Evaluation).