The University establishes certain regular full-time positions which have scheduled periods during each year when employees do not work. These positions are called “flex leave positions.” Employees in these positions work full-time, at least nine months but less than 12 months per year.
- The employee in a flex leave position is considered a regular full-time employee for Human Resources Policy and Procedure (HRP&P) purposes.
During non-scheduled periods of work, the employee is
- considered to be on leave and is not eligible for unemployment compensation, and
- Is covered by the University Long Term Disability (LTD) plan.
- Vacation and temporary disability leave (TDL) does not accrue during flex leave.
- The original date of employment, or service date, is not affected by flex leave.
- If the employee does not give proper notice at the end of the flex leave, the separation shall not be in good standing.
- Participation in insurance plans will continue under the same conditions in effect during the portion of the year the employee is working. The employee is responsible for paying any insurance premiums to include: optional life, accidental death and dismemberment, health care and other voluntary benefits.
- Other benefits and/or privileges provided to the employee continue during flex leave.
- During flex leaves, the employee may work in a temporary position, provided the position ends before the end of the flex leave.
- During flex leave, the employee is eligible to transfer within the University; however, the flex leave will not be counted as time of service within the current position or when calculating experience for another job.
- Flex leave is not counted toward completion of any orientation or corrective action period.
- Flex leave shall count as service toward any benefits eligibility period. Should the eligibility period be completed during flex leave, the eligibility does not begin until the start of full-time work.
- An employee normally on flex leave and desiring to transfer to a 12 month position may be laterally transferred within the department at any time during the year, at the discretion of the department head.
The establishment of flex leave positions shall be approved by the Provost or appropriate Executive Vice President, or other administrators, and the Vice President for Human Resources, or designee.
- Prior to initiating a flex leave position, the department head shall complete a Flex Leave Form.
- The form shall be signed by the employee. The form and a Payroll Authorization Record (PAR) shall be forwarded to the department’s business office for approval and processing.
- Upon approval, three copies of the form shall be forwarded to
- Payroll in the Office of the Controller and Treasurer,
- Human Resources Office of Compensation, and
- Human Resources Office of Employee Benefits.