UK Human Resources
Policy # 5.0: Staff Position Categories
It is the intention of the University of Kentucky to define staff positions in a manner which will support and promote sound human resources and administrative practices.
Broad employment categories have been established and defined. These categories assist the University in complying with appropriate federal and state laws as well as University intent.
It is the responsibility of Human Resources to categorize positions as follows:
- Professional and Administrative category (exempt) positions encompass one or more of the following major elements:
- University-wide, vice presidential area-wide, provost area-wide oversight or major program responsibility;
- Planning, organizing, developing, and directing a major function of the University or a unit such as a college or division;
- Responsibility for carrying out the plans, procedures, and policies of the institution through daily management or supervision of a department;
- Knowledge of a specific, advanced course of study normally acquired by two or three years in a specialized field, or a license, certification or registration;
- Performance of artistic and creative activities dependent upon imagination, talent, or invention;
- Advanced knowledge in a field of learning acquired by a prolonged course of specialized instruction and study and performing tasks directly associated with daily operations of an organizational unit utilizing a specialized body of knowledge and skills in carrying out these responsibilities and with formulating and carrying out institutional policy through investigation, analysis, and counsel and advice; and/or
- Specialized consultant and development responsibilities in University extension and external service-oriented programs.
- Employees in these positions perform exempt-level work 80% or more of their work time.
- Technical and Scientific category (non-exempt) positions involve supporting tasks vital to the successful completion of teaching, research, and service functions and requiring specialized knowledge and skills acquired through experience or education, but which do not normally meet the criteria for the professional and administrative category.
- Office and Clerical category (non-exempt) positions encompass a wide range of activities involved with processing, collecting, recording and distributing various records, reports, communications and other informational data required in support of the teaching, research and service functions.
- Service and Maintenance category (non-exempt) positions involve supportive service activities relating to building and grounds, maintenance, food services, farm labor, hospital support and other auxiliary functions of a nontechnical nature.