For Off-Campus Employees
UK has at least one employee in all 120 Kentucky counties so we know how important it is for our wellness programming to extend beyond Lexington and the Fayette county line. At any time there may be up to 25% of employees working off campus. For these reasons, many of our UK Wellness resources offered exclusively to faculty, staff, retirees and their spouses and sponsored dependents can be found online. Additionally, the Wellness team hosts some events off campus when possible.
Online / Phone
Free, private consultations with a UK Wellness registered dietitian to assist you with diet and nutrition goals. Consults can happen over the phone, email, Skype or Lync based on your preference.
Weight Loss Matters
Our online class taught by a registered dietitian from our UK Wellness team meets every Wednesday. Classes are held in 10 week sessions but you can join every 5 weeks. The initial one-time fee is $50 and you can take the class as many times as you'd like.
Lunch & Learn Nutrition Presentations (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
- Healthy Meal Planning (Annie Q. Beck, CSCS) PowerPoint Presentation (124 KB)
- Get Your Plate in Shape! (Emily Waits, R.D., L.D.) PowerPoint Presentation (2.20 MB)
- Healthier Choices Away from Home (Missy Scheelk) PowerPoint Presentation
- The Sweet Life: Getting Real about Sugar (Kelly L. Dick, CPT) PowerPoint Presentation. Video.
Health Smart Nutrition Presentations (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
- "Making Healthy Choices for a Lifetime: Let’s Get Fired Up!", presented by Ingrid Adams PhD, RD, LD, UK Department of Nutrition and Food Science. View thePowerPoint, video and MyPlate handouts
- "Holiday Meals: Creating Healthier Traditions," presented by Cindy Caywood, MS, RD, LD: PowerPoint Presentation. Recipe Packet. Lower Calorie Holiday Menu Example.
- "Saving Time in the Kitchen: Quick and Healthy Eating," presented by Helen Moseley, MS, RD, LD, CHES. View the PowerPoint (PDF). Handout 1. Meal plan and shopping list handout.
A UK Health & Wellness Health Fitness Specialist is available for private consultations to assist you with your exercise and fitness goals. Consults can happen over the phone, email, Skype or Lync based on your preference.
Use our free exercise videos to work out on-demand. Choose from yoga, cardio and fitness bootcamp options.
Training & Fitness Guides
These fitness guides have been developed exclusively for the UK community by our expert fitness specialists. Many are "walk away workouts" meaning you could print them and get started - no need for much equipment.
Lunch & Learn Exercise Presentations (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
- Getting Started with Weightlifting (Jordon Macht, MS, CSCS) PowerPoint Presentation ( 1.12 MB)
- Get Moving for Better Sleep (Cheryl Estes, NSCA-CPT) PowerPoint Presentation (492 KB)
- Get SMART with your Fitness! (Lauren Ford) PowerPoint Presentation
- Joint Fitness & Functionality: The Importance of Mobility & Stability in Being Fit for Life (Doug Hershberger, CSCS) PowerPoint, Handout.
- Fit for What...? Part 1 (Doug Hershberger, CSCS) PowerPoint Presentation. Video.
- Health Smart Exercise Presentations (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
Tobacco Cessation Coaching
Tobacco Cessation Coaching to help YOU successfully quit tobacco. Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) is available to eligible participants enrolled in this program and will be mailed to you, also free of charge.
Lunch & Learn Stress Presentations (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
- High-Tech Stress Relief (Melissa Albers, HFS) PowerPoint Presentation. Video.
- Too Stressed Out to De-Stress (Ryan Mason) PowerPoint Presentation
- Stressed out? Chew on This! (Kelly L. Dick, CPT) PowerPoint Presentation (812 KB)
- Stress: Can You Handle It? (Michael Dalessio, MS, CPT) - PowerPoint Presentation (2.25 MB)
Health Smart Stress Presentations (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
"The Inner Life of Optimists: Habits, Happiness, and Health," presented by Suzanne
Segerstrom, PhD: View the PowerPoint Presentation (PDF). Video of presentation.
- "Mindful Parenting: Everyday Connection & Calmness," View the PowerPoint Presentationand handout. View video of the entire presentation here.
- "Respect Works: Healthy Relationships at Home, Work, and Play," presented by Melanie Matson, M.A., UK Violence Intervention and Prevention Center. View the PowerPoint presentation (PDF), Resources handout, Video.
- "Preventing (or Surviving) Working Parent Burnout,"presented by UK's Center of Advancement for Women's Health with Dr. Aletia Farmer & Dr. Allison Bailey from UK's Gill Heart Institute. View the panel's bios, PowerPoint, resource handouts on stress reduction, making time, and the video.
- "The Inner Life of Optimists: Habits, Happiness, and Health," presented by Suzanne
Lunch & Learn (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
Join us online through Adobe Connect for free informative sessions on back-to-basics topics such as fitness, nutrition, and stress management. Watch live or on-demand from our past presentations lists. New series each Spring and Fall.
Health Smart (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
Make more informed choices about your health and your family's health by joining us online through Adobe Connect for free monthly conversations with experts in their fields. Become Health Smart and earn a free book mailed to you!
Wellness Conference (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
A free annual day of health, education and fun held in May at an off-campus location. Videos, PowerPoints and handouts from past presentations are available online.
Wellness Comes to YOU (attend upcoming presentations live through online webcast):
Invite UK Health & Wellness experts to present virtually through Adobe Connect at your next departmental meeting, brown bag lunch, or retreat.
More Recommended Resources
Grocery Store Tours
These tours will empower you to navigate the aisles of a grocery store with your personal agenda in mind. Schedule a free grocery store tour at one of four possible locations with our registered dietitians for groups of 3 to 6.
Heart Sole & Glove 5K Run/Walk
An annual 5K run/walk held in February and open to the community. Registration fee is $20 (pre-registration) and $25 race day.
Recess @ Work
It’s simple – just gather your coworkers and take a quick walk, climb the stairs, do some easy stretches, or make up your own routine. We'd be glad to show anyone some sample routines. Invite Wellness to your next meeting to learn more about implementing Recess @ Work.
Free health screenings such as cholesterol, blood pressure, and body fat percentage held at various locations throughout the Spring and Fall. Next off campus WOW:
- December 12, 2013 | 245 Fountain Court | Psychiatry