If you want in, all you have to do is commit to embracing the support of our registered dietitians in their Weight Loss Matters program (weekly classes online or on-campus at lunchtime or in the evening). Participants in previous years have lost, on average, about ten pounds. If you're ready to take your weight loss goals to the next level - in a smart and healthful way - this is the competition for you.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three individual male and female losers, as determined by percentage of weight loss. Plus, all participants will be eligible to win prizes through weekly challenges!
The competition runs for ten weeks: from January 13 to March 25. Register by Wednesday, January 7 at 5 pm.
Weight Loss Matters
What You Need to Know:
Weight Loss Matters is designed to help you meet your weight loss goals that are predetermined with the help of our expert registered dietitians. Weekly classes are held year-round as ten-week cycles, with new topics each cycle. You can continue the weekly program for as long as you want and there is no limit to the number of 10-week cycles you can complete. After completing your first ten-week cycle with progress made toward your goals, you can even continue for free as long as you continue to make progress!
Choose the 10-week class that works best for you:
1. Tuesday afternoon class 12 -1 pm, 102 Mining & Minerals Building
2. Tuesday evening class 5:15-6:15 pm, 511 Nursing Building
|On-Campus Start Date||Registration Deadline|
|Tuesday, January 13||Wednesday, January 7|
3. Wednesday online session - noon to 1 pm
|Online Start Date||Registration Deadline|
|Wednesday, November 12||Wednesday, November 5|
|Wednesday, November 19||Wednesday, November 12|
|Wednesday, January 14||Wednesday, January 7|
You will always have access to the Weight Loss Matters class website so you can access the class materials whenever you need to.
- Success! 79% of Weight Loss Matters participants who completed a 10-week cycle achieved their pre-determined weight loss goals.
- Average weight loss per 10-week cycle is 5.56 pounds per participant.
- You can become our next success story! Or, you may even consider competing in our Biggest BLUE Loser weight loss competition!
What to expect from Weight Loss Matters:
- A weight loss program that teaches you how to eat, rather than how to diet
- A focus on long-term behavior change
- The expertise of registered dietitians
- You setting your own weight loss goals (within reason!)
- A meal pattern calculated just for you (includes a daily calorie level and general outline for how many foods to eat from each food group)
What not to expect:
- A quick fix
- A rigid meal plan – you will have the flexibility to decide what specific foods to eat each day
- Daily menus that take the “guesswork” out of losing weight – you will decide when and what to eat throughout the day and adapt the meal pattern to your lifestyle
- “Off-limits” foods – this program allows you to “fit all foods”
- Complete Weight Loss Matters registration where you will select one of the three class options (Tuesday lunch, Tuesday evening or Wednesday online).
- Make payment of $50 for initial registration:
- Pay with check/cash: Please make checks payable to UK Health and Wellness. If paying with cash, please bring or mail exact amount to the main office, 170 Lancaster Aquatic Center. Change may not be available.
- Pay with credit/debit: We accept Visa and MasterCard debit/credit cards; and Discover and American Express credit card payments. Pay online using Sign Up For It.
- Never used Sign Up For It? You must create an account. Once you do, you will be able to log in and register for many of our events and programs. Read detailed instructions using our Sign Up For It Registration Guide (PDF).
*Note: Registration and payment take place on two seperate platforms. Ensure that if you are paying with credit/debit card that you have made your payment on Sign Up For It and you have enrolled for your desired class through our registration form.