2015 Making the Most of Your Retirement Conference
October 9, 2015 at Embassy Suites on Newtown Pike
Thinking about retirement? In the process of retiring? We have the conference for you! Please join us for our annual Making the Most of Your Retirement Conference. This year, we welcome John A. Patterson, MD, MSPH, FAAFP, who will present the keynote address Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and will also present an afternoon workshop. Registration is free for all UK faculty and staff.
You are encouraged to print the conference program and bring it with you since no copies will be available onsite. Also, some of the Power Point presentations are available below in PDF format should you wish to print and bring those with you as well.
Friday, October 9: Making the Most of Your Retirement
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.: Check-In and Breakfast (coffee, tea, muffins and Danishes)
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.: What Can I Expect from Social Security, Russ Russell, Social Security Administration: Hear an overview of Social Security and learn about such things as how to decide what is the 'right' age to retire, how working after retirement can affect benefits, how to apply online for benefits and much more. Due to time constraints, you are encouraged to submit a question prior to the conference via the online registration form.
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Visit Exhibitors
- TIAA-CREF - From Here to Retirement, Matt Haas, Relationship Manager and Janet Bandera, Director of Wealth Planning Strategies and Estate Planning
- Fidelity - Navigating Your Retirement Plans, Chris Perry, Workplace Planning and Guidance Consultant
11:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.: Visit Exhibitors
11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.: Lunch Keynote: Benefits of Living Mindfully Before and After Retirement,John A. Patterson, MD, MSPH, FAAFP: Dr. Patterson has a special interest in helping professionals with burnout prevention and stress management. He will help attendees explore the meaning and deepest values that inform both life and work.
- UK Retirement Procedures, Tina Cornett and Terri Kanatzar, UK Retirement Officers: Attendees will learn the rules regarding "Early Retirement" versus "Normal Retirement. Hear a review of retiree benefits, including the cost of the plans. Also, learn about resources available to employees who are eligible to retire from UK.
- Mindfulness Tools for Managing Stress and Cultivating Happiness, John A. Patterson, MD, MSPH, FAAFP: In this workshop you will be encouraged to slow down, relax the body, quiet the mind, and open the heart. (Please note if you want to full experience this workshop, plan to wear comfortable clothing (i.e. pants) and bring a yoga mat or towel for lying down.)
2:20 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Visit Exhibitors
2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.: BREAKOUT SESSIONS
- Financial Wellness, Todd Macaulay, Financial Well-Being Officer: Learn the concept of financial well-being and how it applies to all employees and retirees, regardless of income or life stage. Three topics under the umbrella of financial well-being will be covered: the basics of income planning for retirement, Medicaid five-year look back rules, and how to choose an advisor for retirement.
- Getting the Most of Your Pharmacy Benefits, Lucy Wells, Rx Coalition Clinical Director, UK Employee Benefits: Hear an overview of the pharmacy benefit available to UK retirees along with a detailed description of the differences in the pharmacy benefit for early retirees versus Medicare Eligible retirees. Focused information will be provided on the Medicare enrollment process and Medicare Part D regulations.
- UK Benefits
- UK Work-Life
A number of exhibitors will be available during the conference on Friday, October 9, and attendees are encouraged to visit their tables throughout the day.
- Donovan Fellowship for Academic Scholars
- Fidelity Investments
- Kentucky Small Business Development Center
- Lexington/Fayette County Senior Center
- The MPM Group, LLC
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UK
- Sanders-Brown Center on Aging
- Social Security Administration
- UK Career Development
- UK Employee Benefits
- UK Federal Credit Union
- UK Health & Wellness
- UK HealthCare Volunteer Services
- UK Training & Development
- UK Work-Life