UK Human Resources
Lactation in the Workplace
What You Need to Know:
The University of Kentucky has Breastfeeding and Lactation Support Guidelines in place to encourage and support mothers across the University. UK Work-Life is committed to assisting mothers who choose to breastfeed in finding an easily accessible, secure space. Although the below information refers to UK faculty and staff, all mother's rooms are also open for student use. E-mail email@example.com or call us at 859-218-0461 for more information.
- Privacy - A private office (with lock) or an on-site, designated room with an electrical outlet.
- Flexible breaks and work options - Breastfeeding mothers will need 2-3 breaks during an 8-hour work day. On average, milk expression can take approximately 20 – 30 minutes but will vary from mother to mother, depending upon a number of factors such as physical health, emotional and physical stress, milk production, prior experience with lactation, and equipment.
- Education - Information and resources to support the mother (and father) in balancing the requirements for breastfeeding with their job responsibilities.
- Support - A positive, accepting attitude from upper management, supervisors and coworkers helps breastfeeding employees feel confident in their ability to continue working while breastfeeding.
Obtaining a Breast Pump
The preventive care provision of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) states that health plans must cover one breast pump per pregnancy with no cost sharing for female members (i.e. there is no cost to UK employees covered by a UK Healthplan). Please note that not all pumps are fully covered by insurance. Depending on which breast pump an employee chooses, there may be an upgrade fee ($30 - $150). Please ask the supplier about all possible brand options and total costs. Employees are responsible for all applicable taxes.
- Approximately 30 days prior to your due date or anytime following delivery, obtain a prescription from your pediatrician or OB/GYN for a double electric breast pump.
- Contact one of the medical suppliers listed below. Please have your insurance card and prescription available when you call.
- VDT Turning Point @ Grogan's: (859) 254-6661 (1016 South Broadway at Virginia Avenue, Lexington). For ease of service, you can also fill out and fax THIS form to the number listed on the document BEFORE you call Grogan's.
- ABLEcare, Home Oxygen & Medical Equipment: (859) 253-5353 (599 Gold Rush Road, Lexington)
Suppliers outside of Lexington:
3. The medical supplier will ship the new breast pump to you or will provide options for pick-up.
Finding A Space
Currently, these are the designated lactation spaces across campus. Other temporary spaces may be available or offered to accomodate an employee's needs. If you need help locating a temporary space or need to report a problem with a current space, please contact Erika Chambers, Director, UK Work-Life, at (859) 257-1003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Office Tower
Contact and reservations: Abbie Loynachan, 859-257-1375 or email@example.com
Moms Express, Chandler Hospital
Pavilion A Lactation Room
UK Good Samaritan Hospital
Peterson Service Building
W.T. Young Library
If you are not close to a designated space, consider other possibilities:
- an office (your own or a borrowed one)
- a conference room (schedule yourself at regular times)
- Download a "Privacy Please" Doorhanger for your workspace, or e-mail Lisa R. Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy.
Lactation Resources & Links
Where to find breastfeeding help and support. Read more.
Employee Success Stories
UK employees offer suggestions on how to continue breastfeeding after you return to work. Learn more.