Lactation in the Workplace
What You Need to Know:
The University of Kentucky has Breastfeeding and Lactation Support Guidelines in place to encourage and support mothers in the workplace. UK Work-Life is committed to assisting mothers who choose to breastfeed in finding an easily accessible, secure space to express milk at work. E-mail or call us at 218-0461 for more information.
- Privacy - A private office (with lock) or an on-site, designated room with an electrical outlet.
- Flexible breaks and work options - Breastfeeding mothers will need 2-3 breaks during an 8-hour work day. On average, milk expression can take approximately 20 – 30 minutes but will vary from mother to mother, depending upon a number of factors such as physical health, emotional and physical stress, milk production, prior experience with lactation, and equipment.
- Education - Information and resources to support the mother (and father) in balancing the requirements for breastfeeding with their job responsibilities.
- Support - A positive, accepting attitude from upper management, supervisors and coworkers helps breastfeeding employees feel confident in their ability to continue working while breastfeeding.
Free Breast Pumps Under ACA
The preventive care provision of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) states that health plans must cover one breast pump per pregnancy with no cost sharing for female members (i.e. there is no cost to UK employees covered by a UK Healthplan).
Steps for obtaining a double electric breast pump covered under UK Healthplans:
- Approximately 30 days prior to your due date or anytime following delivery, obtain a prescription from your pediatrician or OB/GYN for a double electric breast pump.
- Contact one of the medical suppliers listed below. Please have your insurance card and prescription available when you call. If you are local to Lexington, we recommend contacting VDK Turning Point @ Grogan's first (their offices are located on Virginia Avenue). For ease of service, you can also fill out and fax THIS form to the number listed on the document BEFORE you call Grogran’s.
- VDK Turning Point @ Grogan's: (859) 254-6661
- Edgepark: (888) 394-5375
- Bryam Healthcare: (877) 773-1972
3. The medical supplier will ship the new breast pump to you or will provide options for pick-up.
Finding A Space
Currently, these are the designated lactation spaces. Other temporary spaces may be available or offered to accomodate working mothers' needs. Please e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Patterson Office Tower
Contact and reservations: Abbie Loynachan, 859-257-1375 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Moms Express, Chandler Hospital
UK Good Samaritan Hospital
Peterson Service Building
W.T. Young Library
If you are not close to a designated space, consider other possibilities:
- an office (your own or a borrowed one)
- a conference room (schedule yourself at regular times)
For help locating space, please contact:
- Lisa R. Collins, UK Work-Life, at 859-218-0461 or email@example.com
- Carrie Davidson, Health & Wellness, at firstname.lastname@example.org
New UK Lactation Guidelines
Recognizing the importance of breastfeeding for both mothers and their infants, and of promoting a family-friendly work and study environment, the University provides breastfeeding and lactation guidelines. Read more.
Lactation Resources & Links
Where to find breastfeeding help and support. Read more.
Employee Success Stories
UK employees offer suggestions on how to continue breastfeeding after you return to work. Learn more.
We are looking for success stories and tips from mothers who have successfully managed breastfeeding while working at UK. If you have advice or information you would like to share, please e-mail your information to email@example.com in the Work-Life office.