Banner Link to UK International Center

B Visitor Status

The B1/B2 visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa for those desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business, pleasure, or medical treatment. The purpose of the visit should be short term, and applicants should have residence outside the U.S.  

To obtain a B1/B2 visa, applicants will need to show strong evidence to prove that their intention is to remain in the U.S. for a limited period of time, and that they have other binding ties to their home countries, which will insure their return home.

Individuals on the B-1/B-2 visitor visa may be permitted to receive renumeration under certain circumstances.  There are regulations which govern the practice of Renumeration for International Guests.

Additional guidance for payments to non-resident aliens (NRA) can be found under the tab labeled “Payments to NRA” at:

Persons planning to travel to the United States for a different purpose -- such as students wishing to enroll in a course of study in the U.S. or temporary workers must apply for a different visa in the appropriate category.

Visitors from specified countries may be able to travel to the United States for tourism or business for 90 days or less without obtaining a U.S. visa on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Visit the Department of State's website for more information regarding B1 status.

For more detailed information. Please download the following .pdf document.