Banner Link to UK International Center

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

To be eligible for CPT, a student must have completed one full academic year. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is paid or unpaid training that must be an integral part of an established curriculum in the student’s course of study and is:

  • required of all students in that program of study,
  • required for a particular course and/or curricular track or approved elective, or
  • offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

CPT is training that must be undertaken before an F-1 student completes all the requirements for his/her degree.  This can be a paid or unpaid internship or any other form of cooperative education.  It may be part-time or full-time.  Students enrolled in Thesis or Dissertation credit are only eligible for part-time CPT. Student requesting full-time CPT must be enrolled in full-time course work (internship or practicum credit). Students must register for their CPT course prior to the beginning of the semester.

The use of full-time CPT for one year or more eliminates eligibility for OPT.  The use of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for OPT. (Anything over 20 hours per week is considered full-time.)

CPT Application Process

Internships are available through Experiential Education and Career Services – James W. Stuckert Career Center, 408 Rose Street:  Attendance at a 50-minute Information Session is required.

The following must be submitted to the F-1 Advisor:

  • copy of the final Learning Contract
  • copy of unofficial transcript from myUK

Upon approval by the DSO, a SEVIS I-20 will be issued granting employment authorization for the specific employer.


Graduate Students participating in a departmental course requiring an internship component:

  • Completed CPT application forms below are required.
  • Independent study courses will be accepted for part-time CPT authorization during spring and fall semesters.
  • Full-time CPT is allowed only in summer and with enrollment in an independent study course.
  • Please note:  Students with full Research or Teaching Assistantships are not eligible for part-time CPT because F-1 students are limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session.