Banner Link to UK International Center

Driver’s License / Kentucky State ID

To apply for a driver's license or renew your current driver's license, please follow these steps:

Step 1:  Social Security Number, Letter of Ineligibility or Tax ID Number

  • First you will need your Social Security Number (SSN), Tax ID Number or a letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you are not eligible for a SSN.  In order to receive a "letter of ineligibility" you must go to the Social Security Administration Office in Lexington. 
  • If you have a job already, please follow the SSN instructions for F-1 students or J-1 students in order to obtain a social security number.  Only students with approved employment authorization are eligible for a social security card.

Step 2:  Letter from International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

  • You will need a letter of support from ISSS that states you are a student in good standing at the University of Kentucky. 
  • Fill out and submit the "Driver's License/State ID Card Request" form on the iCAT website.
  • Instructions for using the iCAT website are below.
  • Come back to pick up your letter in 214 Bradley Hall when you have received an email confirmation that your letter is ready.

Step 3:  Visit the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office

1591 Winchester Road, Suite 104
Lexington, KY 
Phone:  (859) 246-2151

Office hours:  Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday and holidays

  • Be sure to bring cash for payment, as they do not accept checks or credit cards.  Fees vary and are subject to change, so it is advisable to bring at least $30 with you.
  • You will also need proof of address.  This should be a piece of mail addressed to you that has been post-marked within 30 days and delivered through the U.S. Postal Service .  If you have not received any mail yet, you can mail yourself a letter and bring that with you after it has been delivered.
  • Bring all of your official immigration documents, including passport with visa and I-94 card (or Print out from ), I-20 or DS-2019.  

For more information about obtaining a driver's license, visit the KY Transportion Department's website