Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Driver’s License J-1

Non-US citizens can drive up to one-year on their foreign country license as long as that country is a part of the Geneva Compact. To find out if your home country is part of the Geneva Compact, please visit

The one-year date comes from the entry date stamped on their immigration document such as the I-94.

If from a country that is not recognized by the Geneva Compact the non-US citizen cannot drive on their foreign license. 

Applications for a Kentucky drivers license can be made at the address below:

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
1591 Winchester Road, Suite 104
Lexington, KY
Phone: (859) 246-2151

The following information is required at the time of application:  

  • Visa, Passport, I-94
  • Letter from J-1 Scholar Advisor, Marc Invergo
  • Proof of Address within the last 60 days
  • DS-2019
  • Social Security card, Tax ID number or an Ineligibility letter from the Social Security Administration
  • Bring approximately $20 for fees associated with applying for the license

KRS 186.412 requires all non U.S. citizens wishing to apply for a Kentucky driver's license or ID card to make application to a Division of Driver Licensing Regio​nal Office.  For more information about the rules for obtaining a Kentucky Driver’s License, please go to:

NOTE: Non-immigrants are not allowed to register to vote. Please check "NO" when asked in your application.