Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Economic Hardship

Students must have completed two semesters of classes before they may apply for permission to work off-campus due to severe economic hardship.  If permission is granted, employment is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full time during holidays or school vacation. 

The following documents are required:

  • Unofficial transcript from myUK
  • Proof of changes in your financial situation caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond your control (loss of government funding due to political or economic instability, natural disaster, currency devaluation or funding reductions etc.).
  • I-765 form - Item #16, use the code: (C) (3) (iii)
  • Check or money order made out to “Department of Homeland Security” for filing fee
  • Copies of all I-20 forms issued to you
  • Copy of I-94 Card (front and back)
  • Copy of ID pages from passport and visa
  • Two photographs*
  • Letter (“To Whom It May Concern”) explaining your financial situation and showing the need for this employment based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.  (These must be substantiated by supporting documentation.)

*Lightly print in pencil your name and I-94 Departure number on back of photos and place in small envelope.

Suggested Photographers:
Rm 106 UK Student Center – 257-2619
Johnny Print - 561 S. Limestone - Ph:  254-6139
Walgreens stores

Guidelines for photos (passport style):

taken within past 6 months
plain white or off-white background – 2x2 inches in size
unmounted, printed on glossy, un-retouched paper – color print
head positioned directly facing the camera; eyes open,looking at camera; eyeglasses worn if normally used
photo from slightly above top of hair to middle of chest – height of head should measure 1 to1 3/8 inches
head should be bare unless wearing a headdress required by a religious order to which you belong