Banner Link to UK Link to International Center


A program extension is intended for students who are unable to complete their degree program by the completion date indicated on the I-20 or DS-2019.

If you are currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing your degree but are unable to complete your program within the specified period on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must apply for an extension prior to the expiration date.  Failure to do this will be a violation of your status.

An extension must be based on a documented illness or compelling academic reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems or credits lost in transfer of schools. Delays caused by academic probation, suspension or oversight are not acceptable reasons for program extensions.

The period of validity of the visa in your passport does not affect your stay in the U.S. It simply refers to the period during which you may enter the U.S. The notation "D/S" on your form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) means you can stay in the U.S. no later than the date specified on your I-20 or DS-2019 for the completion of your program of study, as long as you are enrolled at the university and have not violated your student status.

To request an I-20 or DS-2019 extension, please submit the online request form from iCAT prior to the expiration of your stay:

  • Fill out and subimt the "Extension Request" form on the iCAT website. See form below for instructions on how to use the iCAT website.
  • If on an Assistantship, submit a copy of your contract (GSAS) or have the amount and dates of assistantship included in a letter from the DGS.
  • If other than an Assistantship, proof of funding needed to support yourself (and your family, if applicable) in the form of a bank statement, letter from sponsor, etc.
  • If the extension is needed due to illness, you must include a letter from your US health care provider (medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy or licensed clinical psychologist) indicating that your health issue prevented your normal academic progress.

            Additional funds required for family members:  $7,000 for spouse and $4,800 for each child

FOR THOSE ON UK PAYROLL: To continue on payroll, you must take your extended I-20 or DS-2019, passport and I-94 to 21 Scovell Hall to complete another I-9.