Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Health and Safety

Preparing for your travel abroad is an important step to ensuring a healthy, safe and enjoyable experience. These include learning about the culture of your host country, photocopying important documents and setting up a communication plan with friends and family. Click here for further information on next steps to be taken before departure. Click here to learn more.

Malpractice Coverage 
Students, faculty, staff, or non-University individuals, who provide patient care in clinical international programs sponsored by the University of Kentucky, whether credit-bearing or non-credit bearing, shall also provide evidence of malpractice insurance that meets or exceeds the University coverage. Visit the malpractice coverage section to learn more about your options and if coverage is needed. Click here to learn more.

Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Protocol 
An educational exposure to bloodborne pathogens is defined as a percutaneous injury (e.g. a needlestick or cut with a sharp object), contact with mucous membranes or contact with skin (especially when the exposed skin is chapped, abraded, or afflicted with dermatitis, or the contact is prolonged or involving an extensive area) with blood, tissues, or other bodily fluids to which universal precautions apply, which occurs in the educational setting. Click here to learn more.


In the event of an emergency while abroad, first contact the appropriate local authorities. Then, contact the program director or UK faculty member for guidance. If immediate contact with UK is needed, direct your call to the University of Kentucky Police, who will relay your call to the appropriate individuals in the Office of International Center. Support with health-related emergencies can also be sought by contacting HTH Worldwide Insurance.

Consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens. Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates appears on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at Also note that the Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs may be reached for assistance with emergencies at 1-888-407-4747, if calling from the U.S. or Canada, or 202-501-4444, if calling from overseas.

Faculty members may electronically submit the Education Abroad Incident Report Form in order to quickly inform the EA staff of incidents on-site that may require attention.

Helpful phone numbers:

University of Kentucky Police
(859) 257-8573

AXA Assistance

Main Office, Education Abroad at UK

Miko McFarland, Executive Director of Education Abroad & Exchanges
Cell: 1-417-337-1316

Note: Calls from abroad require that the U.S. country code be entered before the local area code. In most countries, the code is 001. For example, for the Education Abroad at UK main office line, dial 001-859-257-4067.

Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Protocol
On-call emergency number after hours 859-323-5321

Joey Papst (Bloodborne Pathogen Nurse):
Leslie Ehrmantraut (Employee Health Administrator):
If neither is available email:

All students can contact the emergency on call number for direction and assistance. However, if you are on an international rotation, you may want to check with your preceptor on location and notify your program coordinator here at UK additionally. The preceptor on location of the rotation should have specific protocols established.