Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Out of status?

Reinstatement of Status
F-1 students who have overstayed their authorized period or have otherwise failed to maintain F-1 student status for fewer than 5 months may be reinstated to lawful F-1 status. Students may apply to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for reinstatement only if the violation resulted from circumstances beyond their control. Reinstatement is intended to be a rare benefit for exceptional cases. If the request is denied, the decision may not be appealed.

Students must submit the Reinstatement Request to 216 Bradley Hall after proving that they:

  • are currently pursuing, or intend to pursue, a full course of study at a school which issued the I-20,
  • have not been employed without authorization,
  • have established that their failure to maintain student status was due to circumstances beyond their control or that failure to receive reinstatement would result in extreme hardship,
  • have not been out of status for more then 5 months, and
  • are not deportable on any ground other than overstaying or failing to maintain status.

While reinstatement is pending, students should update changes of address directly to USCIS by using the AR-11.  For questions while the reinstatement is pending, students should call the USCIS national customer service line 1-800-375-5283.