2014 Participating UK Faculty
2013 Participating UK Faculty
2013 Photo Gallery
Chinese Student Comments
In order to strengthen collaborative teaching and research between UK and the Chinese universities, the UK Confucius Institute works with Shanghai University to launch the UK Faculty China Short-term Teaching Program. Faculty are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to teach in the summer in Shanghai University. Twenty UK faculty will be selected to teach in this program. Specifics are listed below:
1. Eligibility: UK faculty in various disciplines
2. Chinese University to teach at: Shanghai University
3. Teaching Responsibility:
• Length: Two weeks June 16 – 27, 2014
* First Week: June 16-20: Teaching 10 lecture periods
* Second Week: June 23-27: UK Faculty are required to participate in at least one of the following:
a) participate UK Week at SHU;
b) give a presentation on research in the field;
c) participate in the activities provided by the department;
d) work with a SHU faculty to develop collaborative research plan;
e) participate in the 2nd International Education Forum
• Teaching hours: 10 lectures (1 credit)
• Time of the year: June 16 – 27, 2014
• Subjects: General Education courses for freshman and second year students including the following areas:
(1) Literature and Arts: Cultivate the humanistic and artistic quality of students by reading classic literature and by appreciation of artistic work.
(2) History and Culture: Understand the origin of human civilization and development; Think about the human phenomena and civilization to cultivate analysis skill and global perspective.
(3) Philosophy and Wisdom: Foster independent and critical thinking, reasoning ability and appropriate values.
(4) Language and Communication: Study the communication skill, expand interpersonal relationship and improve the organization skill.
(5) Citizen and Society: Cultivate citizen awareness and qualities of leaders.
(6) Market economy and strategic management: Understand the relationship between economy, management, and people's lifestyle to adapt to the modern society.
(7) Globalization and social development: Analyze the economic and social phenomenon to understand the economic and financial policy and to adapt to the diversified society.
(8) Natural evolution and life care: Understand the natural evolution and biology evolution, explore the meaning of life and care for life.
(9) Technological progress and human development: Understand the motive of human development and have the spirit of exploration.
(10) Technological innovation and scientific method: Explore the development and influence of the natural science, life science and engineering science. Study the methods of knowledge organization, analysis and discovery of the world.
• Language: All courses should be taught in English
4. Compensations: Shanghai University will cover the following:
• International Round-trip tickets (economy coach class, not exceeding $2000.00).
• Two-week (including weekends) accommodation in Shanghai University Guest House: Lehu Building:
• Stipend to cover food (1000.00RMB, EXCHANGE RATE IS ABOUT 6.15RMB TO 1 DOLLAR)
• UKCI will cover the visa application fees
5. Application Process:
1) Fill out the application form
• Application Form
• Recommendation Form
2) Submit application along with the following:
• Course Syllabus
3) UKCI will work with Shanghai University to determine acceptance
4) UKCI will notify candidates by April 15, 2014
5) Please submit your application packet to Zengxiang Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Application deadline: February 15, 2014.
6. Compensation Methods:
• International round trip airfare will be reimbursed after course is completed in the end of the first week. Faculty will be organized in the 2nd week to exchange the Chinese currency into US dollars in the Chinese bank.
• Food stipend will be paid upon arrival in Shanghai University
7. Visa and Passport:
• A valid passport is needed for this trip. The passport must be valid at least 6 month at the conclusion of the trip, which means, the passport must be valid until December 2014.
• UKCI will handle the visa application for successful candidates. A visa application fee of $225.00 will apply. UKCI will pay for the visa application fee.
For questions, please contact Huajing Maske at Huajing.email@example.com