Banner Link to UK International Center

Social Security

Only students with employment are eligible for a Social Security Number. Students must wait until they receive their first paycheck before they begin the process below.

Step 1:  Fill out the top portion of the Social Security On-Campus Employment Verification Form (pdf).  In the “Job Description” blank, be sure to write in an accurate one to two sentence description of your job, not simply the job title.  (Ex: Simply writing “Teaching Assistant” is not acceptable.  Please be more descriptive!)

Please note,  if you are employed with UK Dining Services through Aramark then you will receive an alternative verification form from Aramark which does not require you to complete Step 2 below.

Step 2:  Bring the Social Security On-Campus Employment Verification Form to Room 21 Scovell Hall.  They will fill out the second section of the form.  Please note that you must have your Person ID Number with you, which can be found on your UK Payroll Earning/Deduction Statement.

Step 3: Bring your completed form to room 214 of Bradley Hall for the DSO to sign.  You also need to bring with you:

  •  A copy of your Payroll Earnings/Deduction Statement (This is received after each pay period. Your Person ID Number is listed in the top section to the right of your name.)
  • A print-out of your Unofficial Transcript from myUK showing your class registration

Step 4: Return to Bradley Hall room 214 to pick-up the completed and signed Social Security On-Campus Employment Verification form.  When you drop off your request, the DSO will inform you of what date it will be ready for pick-up.

Step 5: Bring your completed forms to the Social Security Administration to the address listed below.  You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Completed “Employment Verification Form”
  • Passport
  • Original I-20
  • Copy of I-94 or Print out from 
  • Copy of I-20
  • Copy of Passport photo/bio page
  • Copy of Passport visa page
  • Completed “Application for Social Security Card” (Form SS-5), which can be obtained from  If you do not have one completed beforehand, you can also get a blank form at the SSA office and fill it out there.

Address: Suite 110, 2241 Buena Vista Rd., Lexington, Kentucky 40505

(Closed on Federal holidays)
Phone: 1-866-530-7754 or 1-800-772-1213

CITY BUS: Go to the LEXTRAN Transit Center on 220 Vine Street in downtown Lexington. Take Bus Route #10. 

**Be sure that your mailbox is labeled with your name.  The mail service cannot deliver your social security card unless your mailbox is labeled.**


Question #2:  Mailing Address = Your Residence in Lexington

The U.S. Post Office will not forward Social Security Cards or deliver them to you at another person's address. Do not use c/o addresses!
If you do not have residence in Lexington yet, it is best to wait to apply for a card when you have one.

Question #3:  Citizenship – check “Legal Alien Allowed to Work”

Question #8:
A. Mother's Maiden Name – Please put the name your mother had before marriage (if it was different).
B. Mother's Social Security Number – If your mother ever lived in the U.S. and had a Social Security Number, put it here. If not, leave this blank.

Question #9:
A. Father's Name – Please put your father's name.
B. Father's Social Security Number – If your father ever lived in the U.S. and had a Social Security Number, put it here. If not, leave this blank.

After receiving the SSN, you must take your SSN card to the Registrar’s office located in Room 10 Funkhouser Building. If you are employed, also take it to Human Resources located in Scovell Hall.

Once you have your social security number, please keep it in a safe place. Identity theft is a severe problem. Do not share your SSN over the phone with individuals you do not know or through e-mail. To learn more about identity theft please visit the Federal Trade Commission website.