Banner Link to UK Link to International Center

Developing a New University Exchange

Per Administrative Regulation 4:9, the Education Abroad oversees the management of bilateral and multilateral student exchanges, or those programs involving the reciprocal, two-way movement of students between institutions.

Bilateral Student Exchanges are between two institutions in which students are typically exchanged on a one-to-one basis (e.g., one UK students spends time at an international institution while a student from that institution is enrolled at UK) or some mathematical variation (e.g., two summer participants for one semester-length enrollment). No money changes hands between participating institutions.

Multilateral Student Exchanges involve three or more participating institutions. Typically in such exchanges the balancing of participant numbers occurs across the system, so that an outbound student need not go to the same institution, or even the same country as the inbound counterpart. At UK, the most active multilateral student exchange is ISEP, or the International Student Exchange Program.

At UK, exchanges may be university-wide or college-specific.  University-Wide Exchanges are managed by EA and are typically exchanges that allow inbound students open access to all university offerings. College-Specific Exchanges are managed by a UK college, and generally target exchanges of students in particular disciplines.

All exchanges must have a current exchange-specific Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in effect between UK and the partner institution. All agreements must be successfully reviewed by UK's Legal Counsel, and bear the signature of the Associate Provost of International Programs. College-specific agreements much also have the signature of the dean of the sponsoring UK college.

Education Abroad welcomes discussion of establishing new exchange agreements and extends its services to on-going program maintenance and support. For more information on existing exchanges or on establishing a student exchange agreement, please consult International Partnerships & Research.