2019 Training Workshops
Phase I Workshops (Logistics, Field Chemistry and Grab Sampling)
This 3-4 hour introductory training workshop provides participants with an understanding of how the Watershed Watch organization functions and what is involved in participating as a sampler. Specific instruction is provided on assessing certain field chemistry characteristics of water, as well as how to properly collect a "grab sample" for analysis at a certified laboratory.
- Saturday, February 23rd from 9:30 am to 1:00 p.m. - Midway Public Library
- Wednesday, April 17th at 5:30 pm - Paul Sawyier Public Library, 319 Wapping Street, Frankfort
Phase II Workshops (Biological and Habitat Assessment)
This 4-6 hour workshop provides participants with guidance on further understanding the quality of a waterway through examining its ability to support
aquatic life. Instructors explain a variety of factors that influence aquatic habitat, including in-stream conditions and nearby land use. Instruction will also be provided on collecting, identifying, and assessing macroinvertebrate populations in a stream with regard to how they serve as indicators of general water quality.
These workshops are free and open to anyone willing to volunteer as a water quality sampler.
Pre-Registration is required. E-mail Joann Palmer at email@example.com, or call (502)782-7032 or (502)330-1748 to register.
2019 Sampling Events
- Habitat-Biological Assessments – May 1 - June 30
- Spring Sampling (for E coli and Field parameters) – Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11
- Summer Sampling (for E coli and Field parameters) – Friday, July 12 and Saturday, July 13
- Fall Sampling (for E coli, Metals, Nutrients and Field Parameters) – Friday, September 13 and Saturday, September 14
2018 Herrington Lake Sampling Dates (coordinate with NASA-USGS Landsat satellite flyover dates)
May 8th and 24th
June 9th and 25th
July 11th and 27th
August 12th and 28th
September 13th and 29th
October 15th and 31st
Other Events of Interest
Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute Annual Symposium
March 25, 2019
Marriott Griffin Gate Resort, Lexington, KY