Citizen Action Planning

KRWW encourages local watershed groups to submit Citizen Action Plans, or CAPs. These plans serve as a tool to turn water quality data into action by providing guidance for appropriate and effective efforts to improve the water quality of a particular stream or watershed. After making an assessment of the needs of the watershed, volunteer monitors identify action that they will take to address the watershed needs.

The County Summary Reports are a first step in developing a Citizen Action Plan for your watershed of interest.  They are a useful tool for initiating local discussion about water quality status, pollutants of concern, likely sources, and ways to reduce pollutant inputs.  KRWW board members are willing to assist samplers with taking the next step in further developing citizen action plans.  If you would like assistance with creating a County or Watershed Summary Report, or with the further development of an action plan, please contact a KRWW board member today!

County reports include a listing of likely local partners for addressing various water quality issues.  These include the following:

Farming or Agricultural Assistance - Contact your County Conservation District.
Each county in Kentucky is represented by a local conservation district, consisting of 7 elected supervisors.  The conservation districts assist farmers with creating and implementing practices to protect soil and water quality.  The districts help conserve Kentucky's resources by helping local residents match their needs with technical and financial resources.  There are various cost-sharing programs available to assist farmers in acheiving water quality goals.

Septic System Assistance - Contact your County Health Department. 
Each county has a health department with a dedicated "Environmentalist" staff member who oversees septic system permitting and installation and follows up on citizen complaints about septic system issues.  These individuals are also knowledgeable about septic system function and maintenance and can help ensure that a system is working properly.

Stormwater (Runoff, Flooding, Erosion) Assistance - Contact your local Stormwater Engineer or Manager.
Some towns and cities have a person or department who oversees stormwater management in the community.  In the 1990's, certain urbanized areas were required to obtain permits for managing polluted stormwater runoff that is transported through municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s), from which it is often discharged untreated into local streams, rivers and lakes.  These permits include various measures for minimizing impacts of stormwater runoff.  More information is available on the Kentucky Division of Water's website at

Environmental Emergencies or Citizen Concerns - Contact Kentucky's Department for Environmental Protection or Division of Water.

For environmental emergencies, such as spills of gas, oil or other substances, contact the Environmental Response Team at 502-564-2380 or 1-800-928-2380 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).  

You may also contact the Division of Water (DOW) at 502-564-3410, or the Frankfort Regional Office at 502-564-3358, and inform the operator that you wish to report a concern or complaint. Please be prepared to explain the nature of the problem and give the location of the problem, including directions to the site. You do not have to give your name; however, if you wish DOW to either contact you during the investigation or provide you with the results of the investigation, you must leave your name and contact information.