2018 Training Workshops
Phase I Workshops (Logistics, Field Chemistry and Grab Sampling)
This 3-4 hour introductory training workshop provides participants with an understanding of how the Watershed Watch organization functions and what is involved in participating as a sampler. Specific instruction is provided on assessing certain field chemistry characteristics of water, as well as how to properly collect a "grab sample" for analysis at a certified laboratory.
- Sunday, March 18th at 1:00 p.m. - Danville
- Saturday, March 31 at 9:00 a.m. - Richmond
- Wednesday, April 4 evening - Lexington
- Wednesday, April 19 from 5:00 to 8:30 pm - Stanton
Phase II Workshops (Biological and Habitat Assessment)
This 4-6 hour workshop provides participants with guidance on further understanding the quality of a waterway through examining its ability to support
aquatic life. Instructors explain a variety of factors that influence aquatic habitat, including in-stream conditions and nearby land use. Instruction will also be provided on collecting, identifying, and assessing macroinvertebrate populations in a stream with regard to how they serve as indicators of general water quality.
Saturday, April 28 from 9 am to 4 pm - Midway University
Anne Hart Bldg, 512 E. Stephens Street, Room 226, Midway
These workshops are free and open to anyone willing to volunteer as a water quality sampler.
Pre-Registration is required. E-mail Joann Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (502)782-7032 or (502)330-1748 to register.
2018 Sampling Events
- Habitat-Biological Assessments – May 1 - June 30
- Spring Sampling (for E coli and Field parameters) – Friday, May 11 - Saturday, May 12
- Summer Sampling (for E coli and Field parameters) – Friday, July 13 and Saturday, July 14
- Fall Sampling (for E coli, Metals, Nutrients and Field Parameters) – Friday, September 14, Saturday, September 15 and Monday, September 17
2018 Herrington Lake Sampling Dates (coordinate with NASA-USGS Landsat satellite flyover dates)
May 8th and 24th
June 9th and 25th
July 11th and 27th
August 12th and 28th
September 13th and 29th
October 15th and 31st
Other Events of Interest
Kentucky Riverkeeper "Paddle Out Pollution" Series
July 15, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. @ Riverview Park, Frankfort
Picnic after the paddling event, provided by Kentucky Riverkeeper
August 4, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. @ Estill County (Meet at ramp under bridge at Rader's Restaurant.)
Optional early dinner afterward at Rader's
August 25, 2018 from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. @ Red River on Estill County Farm
Contact email@example.com for more info.