Any currently enrolled UK student wanting to change into the pre-nursing major must receive preapproval from the College of Nursing.
Please complete and submit this form: Changing Major to Pre-Nursing Inquiry
An academic advisor will respond to the request within 3 business days. If you are eligible to change into Pre-Nursing, the email response will include instructions on how to complete the process of changing your major.
*Eligibility to switch into the pre-nursing major does not guarantee admission into the BSN program.
Please note: There is a formal application process for admission to the traditional BSN program. Find the application instructions here.
You must complete the following pre-requisite courses and some of the UK Core requirements to prepare for application to the major:
ANA 109 & ANA 110
CIS/WRD 111 (OR CIS/WRD 112)
The deadline to apply to the College of Nursing is March 1 for admission to the following academic year. All prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the spring semester, in which you apply for admission.
- The GPA used for admission includes all college credits taken as a high school or college student.
- You must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and a 3.0 minimum science GPA to be considered.
- Science grades are averaged if courses are repeated.
- The TOEFL, administered online, is required of all applicants for whom English is not their native language. Minimum scores accepted are: Cumulative – 90; Speaking – 26; Listening – 22; Writing – 20; Reading – 22. You must submit this TOEFL score directly to the College of Nursing
Competitive applicants must have excellent grades!
- Approximately 200 seats are available for sophomore admission. Half will begin in the Fall semester; half will begin in the Spring semester.
- The average GPA of an accepted student is a 3.6, the range is 3.3-4.0.
- Very rarely will someone with less than a 3.2 GPA be accepted.