Off-Campus Housing Safety Excellence Program Application
The Office of Off-Campus Student Services (OCSS) provides support and services to University of Kentucky students who choose not to live in University residential facilities. The OCSS creates resources, programs and solutions that assist off-campus students in developing and maintaining positive connections with the University, the neighborhoods in which they live, and the greater Lexington community.
The Off-Campus Housing Safety Excellence Program is an initiative designed to improve the quality of safety in off-campus properties. The purpose of the Off-Campus Housing Safety Excellence Program is to equip students with the knowledge needed to live in an off-campus environment, and to improve the quality of off-campus life by reducing safety risks and hazards.
Property Managements and Landlords participating with the Off-Campus Housing Safety Excellence Program are not endorsed by the University of Kentucky, but are recognized for their willingness to enhance the quality of life for all their residents.
Benefits of joining The Off-Campus Housing Safety Excellence Program:
• Students value safe, secure, and affordable housing
• Parents value peace of mind
• Rental property owners value residents prepared to live off-campus
• Permanent residents value responsible neighbors
Safety Requirement Levels (12 out of 20 for Silver, 16 out of 20 for Gold, 18 out of 20 for Platinum)
- Presence on the off-campus safe housing property listing page displaying their status of Silver, Gold, and Platinum on the OCSS main website for one year, ability to be seen by faculty/staff, students, and parents.
- Listed on the off-campus safe housing property board displaying their recognized status of Silver, Gold, and Platinum in the OCSS community lounge for one year, ability to be seen by faculty/staff, students, and parents.
- Will receive a certificate to hang at their property to display their recognized status of Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
All above, plus:
- Invitation to an annual roundtable hosted by the OCSS to provide input on programs and services that will be offered, gain assistance and provide feedback on issues and problems regarding students.
- Receive regular communication to help engage and impact students in the UK & Lexington community, which will help them persist through graduation.
All above, plus:
- Marketing ability on the OCSS social media (Twitter & Facebook) for one year, ability to be seen by faculty/staff, students, and parents.
- Property Spotlight on The WG (blog), Instagram, Snapchat, and OCSA Newsletter
- Invitation to participate in the Off-Campus Student Association Off-Campus Property Panel Program.
Rental property owners are responsible for reporting information fairly and accurately, and the University of Kentucky Off-Campus Student Services cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of such information. Inclusion of any property or rental unit in this program does not constitute, and shall not be construed or reported as 1) an endorsement or approval by the University of Kentucky of the landlord, its properties, or its business practices, or 2) a warranty or representation by the University of Kentucky as to the quality, safety, or other features of such property and/or its owners or management agent(s). The University of Kentucky expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any problems that may arise with regard to such property or rental units or with regard to disputes between landlords and residents concerning such property or rental units. All prospective residents are encouraged to exercise their own good judgement when evaluating a prospective rental unit or landlord.