August 30, 2011
Bicyclists: Drive Safe and Be Aware – Share the Road
With the start of fall semester, Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) is once again urging cyclists, pedestrians and motorists to use caution when interacting with each other. As part of the Share the Road program, we are sending safety tips to both cyclists and drivers alike.
PTS has joined with Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, Fayette County Public Schools, Lexington Police and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to promote safety on our roads.
Cyclists must be aware of motorists and pedestrians. Below is a list of cycling tips that will help keep the road a safe way to travel:
- Cyclists and motorists have the same rights, rules and responsibilities on Kentucky roads.
- Ride a bicycle in the same direction as vehicle traffic.
- Make eye contact with motorists – be sure you are seen.
- Use extra caution when changing lanes, and use appropriate lanes when turning.
- Ride in a straight path. Do not weave in and out of parked or stopped vehicles.
- Proceed with care through intersections and yield to pedestrians.
For more information about sharing the road with motorists and pedestrians, visit http://sharetheroad.ky.gov and www.lexingtonky.gov/index.aspx?page=593.
When we all drive safely and are considerate of others, it is easy to Share the Road!
UK Parking & Transportation Services is now on Twitter! To follow news on parking and transportation issues on campus, including bikes, go to http://twitter.com/UKParking.