Skip to Content

Parking Permit Questions

How do I apply for a permit? Can I apply online?

Permit applications are accepted online at only certain times during the year. Students may apply from June through August, while employees may apply during June. At all other times, you would need to contact Parking and Transportation Services for price, availability, and application information.

Top of Page

I'm trying to purchase a permit. Do you accept financial aid or Plus Accounts?

No, we cannot accept payment in the form of financial aid or Plus Accounts. However, we do offer a variety of other payment options. If paying online, you must use a credit card. We accept American Express, Discover Card, MasterCard or Visa. If paying in the office, cash or check may be used in addition to the credit card options.

Top of Page

I wasn't able to get the parking permit that I wanted. A) A friend does not need theirs any longer and I would like to buy it. Can I buy it and use it as my own? Or B) I found a permit on the ground. Can I keep it and use it?

No. The only person who may use a permit is the person to whom the permit was issued. All permits are non-transferable. If you are caught using a permit other than your own, you could receive a costly citation and get your car impounded, not to mention losing your parking privileges. The best thing to do is return the permit to Parking Services.

Top of Page

I lost my permit. Now what do I do?

Visit the Parking and Transportation Services office between 7:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. You will need to fill out a report declaring the permit lost and pay a $15.00 replacement fee.

Top of Page

Oops. I found the permit that I reported as lost. Can I still use it?

Absolutely not. Once a permit is reported lost, Parking Services marks the permit invalid. Any vehicle displaying a lost permit will be fined and impounded.

Top of Page

I have a state-issued ADA accessible permit. Can I use it to park on campus? If not, how can I get a permit to park in the ADA accessible spaces at UK?

No, not as a general rule. You will need to apply for a UK ADA accessible parking permit. All applications are approved or denied by the Application Review Committee for Parking for Persons with Disabilities. UK ADA accessible permits are valid only on UK's campus.

Information concerning ADA accessible parking, along with a printable Adobe Acrobat application, is available online. If you have questions regarding the application process, contact UK PTS.

Top of Page

What happens to all the money generated from permit fees? It seems as if I pay and pay and pay, but the parking around here never gets better.

Parking and Transportation Services uses permit revenue to fund capital improvements and renovations, general maintenance and operations, and campus bus routes. While every user group will not benefit from every project, PTS does try to improve parking fairly for both students and employees.

Top of Page

If you use the money to improve the parking, why not build another parking structure? That would increase parking by several hundred spaces, wouldn't it?

Parking structures are extremely costly. A 1,000 space structure can cost $12 to $20 million. Current industry averages estimate that the yearly cost of a space in a structure (debt service, operational costs and maintenance) can cost in excess of $1,500. Permit fees at the University of Kentucky are only a fraction of this cost, and it is easy to see why Parking and Transportation Services can afford to build only a limited number of structures before permit fees must be substantially increased to support additional construction.

Top of Page