August 21, 2012
Parking Structure #1 Repairs Update
The Parking Structure #1 rooftop project is planned to be finished on schedule by Friday, August 24, at which time parking on the roof will reopen. Parking Structure #1 is located at the corner of Cooper and University Drives.
In the coming weeks, other portions of the garage will be temporarily blocked as the routine maintenance in the garage is finished. Employees who normally park in the garage should allow extra time in arriving to work. Visit www.uky.edu/pts/parking-info_parking-maps to view the campus parking map and identify alternate parking locations.
The overall project is expected to be completed by Friday, September 5. However, construction is weather-dependent and the timetable may change.
Motorists: Be Courteous and Aware – Share the Road
With the start of fall semester, Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) is reminding motorists, pedestrians and cyclists to use caution when interacting with each other. As part of the Share the Road program, we are sending safety tips to both drivers and cyclists alike.
PTS, in conjunction with the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, Fayette County Public Schools, Lexington Police and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, wants to promote safety on our roads.
Motorists must respect the rights of other road users. Below is a list of driving tips that will help keep the road a safe way to travel:
- Cyclists have a right to the road. Be alert and patient.
- Cyclists are considered vehicles and should be given the appropriate right of way.
- Expect cyclists on the road at any time, especially on signed bike routes.
- Check your mirrors. Watch for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Don’t honk your horn when approaching cyclists. You can startle the cyclist and cause a crash.
- Leave at least three feet of space between your car and a cyclist when passing.
- Stay behind a cyclist when you are turning right.
- Follow distracted driving laws; don’t text message while your vehicle is in motion.
- Yield to pedestrians at crosswalks and intersections, paying special attention while driving on or around campus.
- Follow posted speed limits.
For more information about sharing the road with motorists and pedestrians, visit http://sharetheroad.ky.gov.
When we all drive safely and are considerate of others, it is easy to Share the Road!
Members of the campus community are encouraged to tune into 1700 AM (WQKH 253) to hear campus parking and transportation information. The station broadcasts 24 hours, 7 days a week.