What is the University of Kentucky Carpool Program?
- Purpose: To make carpooling attractive to University faculty, staff and students.
- Benefits: You may save money, share the driving with friends or co-workers, and even receive prime parking on campus.
- Environmentally Responsible: Reduces traffic congestion and supports the Clean Air Act.
- Incentives: Several incentives available are a reserved parking area for carpool vehicles, motorist assistance, and a guaranteed ride home in emergency situations.
We hope you will be interested, so read below to find out more.
Eligibility for a Carpool Permit
In order to participate in a carpool, you must meet the following criteria:
- A carpool must consist of at least 3 members.
- Participants must live outside a one-mile radius of campus or have approval from the Parking Services.
- Participants must share a ride on a regular basis (at least 3 days a week).
- Participants must qualify for one of the following two categories:
- UK and VA employees regular full or part-time UK employees, who are eligible for an E parking permit, and whose jobs necessitate parking on University property requiring such a permit.
- UK and BCTC students
Incentives & Services of the Carpool Program
Guaranteed Ride Home
The University will provide participants a ride home in emergency situations. This service can be used a maximum of three times per year. You will need to contact PTS to request a ride home during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; or contact the University of Kentucky Police Department after regular working hours at (859) 257-1616.
Proper Use of Carpool Service
Valid reasons for using this service include the following:
- Severe illness or crisis of a carpool participant's immediate family member which necessitates leaving work early.
- Stranded at work if the driver of the carpool must leave unexpectedly due to illness or a family emergency. The remaining participants must be transported to one destination on the same trip.
Invalid reasons for using this service include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pre-planned medical appointments
- Personal errands
- Early dismissal from work
- Personal illness or injury
- Working overtime
Motorist assistance will be provided by the towing company contracted by UK Parking and Transportation Services. This will include jump starts, lockouts, two gallons of gasoline, and a complimentary tow if necessary to a repair shop within the limits of New Circle Road. Each motorist assistance service is available once per permit year (April 1 - March 31) and only on the carpool vehicle. Any additional services can be provided at the rate contracted by the University of Kentucky with the towing company. Please contact PTS or the University of Kentucky Police Department after hours at (859) 257-1616 to request motorist assistance.
Each participant in a carpool may purchase scratch-off passes to be used on days he/she is not riding in the carpool. The scratch-off pass must be displayed on the rear-view mirror. Participants will need to park in a regular parking space on the days they drive alone.
Reserved Parking Area
Parking and Transportation Services will attempt to accommodate employees with parking in a reserved carpool area in an E parking lot in close proximity to where they work or a nearby bus stop. Students will be able to choose a space in a reserved area in one of the student C or K commuter lots. The reserved carpool area will be designated by a parking control sign. These areas will be controlled for carpool permits only during the hours stated on the signs.
Each carpool will be issued one hangtag for the group. The hangtag will be issued in the name of the person designated as the "Leader" on the carpool request form. The hangtag may be displayed on any of the vehicles listed on the carpool request form.
The driver of the carpool will be permitted to drop off employees at different locations on campus before parking in the reserved carpool area.
How to Apply
Contact University of Kentucky Parking Services to receive the necessary forms for applying for a carpool permit.
Each participant must complete a parking application, as well as one carpool form per carpool. The designated "Leader" will be responsible for sending the carpool form along with all applications to Parking Services.
Improper Use or Application of a Carpool Permit
Misuse of a carpool permit will result in cancellation of parking privileges. Participants are expected to adhere to passenger limitations when using the reserved carpool area. In addition, upon termination of one of the carpool members, the remaining participants will need to contact Parking Services immediately. The remaining members will be given thirty (30) days to find a third member. If the participants choose to dissolve the carpool, the carpool permit and any unused scratch-off passes must be returned to Parking Services. Participants will then be entitled to purchase their own permits.
Finding a Ride
You may already have a group of people in mind to carpool with, but If you are interested in finding other UK employees to share rides with, please visit our Ride Matching page. If you would like to expand your search beyond UK, the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government offers an online ride matching service.
Warning: The above Web address is provided for convenience of users and is not managed by the University of Kentucky. The University does not review, control, or take responsibility for the contents of this site.
If you need any further information, please contact us.