Concentration Specific Competencies
- Prepare small scale studies that evaluate interventions that reduce occupational and environmental risks to targeted populations.
- Critique scientific literature in occupational and environmental health to determine its relevance to advancing practice-based strategies that reduce threats from environmental and occupational hazards.
- Propose engineering, educational, policy and enforcement strategies that reduce occupational and environmental health risks in populations.
- Summarize the role of policy, regulation and enforcement to prevent, modify and remove environmental and occupational hazards and risks.
- Construct working groups and teams from different backgrounds to improve the public’s health when threatened by environmental and occupational health hazards.
Area of Concentration Courses
|Course Number||Course Name||Credit Hours|
|Students focusing on Environmental Health must complete the area requirements listed above and choose, in consultation with their academic advisor and/or Department Chair, additional courses from the list of electives that will meet the student’s educational and career objectives.|
|Other electives are permissible. Check with your Academic Advisor.|
|CPH 620||Occupational and Environmental Health II||3|
|CPH 622||Toxic Agents and Their Implications in Public Health||3|
|Electives (4 Courses Required)|
|CE 555||Microbial Aspects of Environmental Engineering||3|
|CPH 610||Injury Epidemiology and Control||3|
|CPH 614||Managerial Epidemiology||3|
|CPH 617||Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology||3|
|CPH 728-a||Special Topics in Occ/Env Health: Health of Agricultural Populations||3|
|CPH 728-b||Special Topics in Occ/Env Health: Agricultural Health and Disease||3|
|CPH 728-c||Special Topics in Occ/Env Health: Injury Prevention and Control||3|
|CPH 729||Independent Study in Occupational & Environmental Health||(1-3)|
|CPH 790||Water Sanitation and Health||3|
|CPH 522||The Health of Kentuckians||3|
|CPH 695||Public Health Practice through Service Learning||3|
|CPH 662||Public Health Response to Terrorism & Disaster||3|
|ENT 561||Insects Affecting Human and Animal Health||3|
|KHP 515||Anatomical and Mechanical Kinesiology||3|
|KHP 618||Work Hardening & Ergonomics||3|
|PHY 472G||Interaction of Radiation with Matter||3|
|RM 545||Radiation Hazards and Protection||3|
|TOX 509||Biochemical and Environmental Toxicology||3|
|TOX 680||Molecular Mechanisms in Toxicology||5|