In FY 2012, the College received nearly $42 million in new extramurally sponsored project awards and collaborative research funding. The College of Public Health has committed significant facilities, technical resources, and administrative support to promote the highest levels of research productivity among public health faculty. Currently, the UK College of Public Health has more than 32,513 sq. ft. of research space that houses 66 faculty members. This research space includes 99 offices for faculty, fellows, and support personnel, a graduate student lounge with three work stations, three conference rooms, a medical resident library, several rooms for duplicating and assembling teaching and research materials, and two kitchenettes.
The College also receives technical support from UK HealthCare Information Technology staff. This IT staff manages the following computing resources for use by College faculty and staff:
- More than 200 Dell desktops and laptops; Macintosh desktops and laptops, and various tablets.
- Various servers. CPHFS1 is a file and print, Dell Dual Xeon e5620 server running Microsoft Server 2008 Enterprise R2 with 16GB RAM and six 1TB hard drives (raid 6). The data is backed up by IBM Tivoli software routed via LAN to University of Kentucky backup storage. The system is locked in a key code access room in the University of Kentucky, College of Public Health Building and is protected from internet intrusion primarily by the University of Kentucky Medical Center Firewall and a general campus firewall. Access to data on the server is restricted to LAN, Active Directory Access via University Login and via VPN for off campus access. CPHVS1/CPHVS2 (Two servers for Citrix Virtual Grid) for virtual machines in the Biostatistics Lab (Dell PowerEdge R710, Dual Intel® Xeon® X5650 2.66Ghz, 12M Cache,Turbo, HT, 1333MHz Max Mem, (5) 300GB 15K RPM SAS 6Gbps 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive, 96gb ram). They also manage a Ubuntu Linux for statistical modeling (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz, 8 cores, 2x15k 300gb HD).
- 7 Central Ricoh Aficio Color Laser Multi-function Printers
- Cisco IP phones for all work stations and offices
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010
- Statistical software: SAS site license, SPSS site license, STATA (20 perpetual purchased licenses in Biostatistics Lab)
- Antivirus: McAfee and Microsoft Forefront
- Firewall: All CPH Based resources protected by UK Hospital/Medical Center Firewall
All faculty members are provided with individual work stations, including PCs, printing equipment, IP telephones, filing cabinets for storing confidential records, and access to a toll-free conference line. The College makes available to faculty several new, high-capacity copy machines, fax machines, and scanners as well as a color plotting printer to produce posters for presentations and promotional efforts. Other equipment available for faculty use includes digital audio recorders, digital still and video cameras, and LCD projectors. The campus network offers licenses for office, graphics, and statistical software packages to faculty and staff, and all faculty and staff can access email, Internet, and campus libraries and databases from their work stations and from connections to the free wireless network. In addition to providing IT resources, the College supports faculty research with an administrative staff that assists with office tasks such as duplication as well as research administration, personnel management, and accounting.