Policies and Rules
Valid UK ID must be presented for admission
Who is eligible for admission to the Lancaster Aquatic Center?
- Full time or part time students at UK with Valid ID
- Students of Bluegrass Community and Technical College (who have paid the Recreation Fee through the UK e-store.) with Valid ID
- Full Time Faculty/Staff at UK with Valid ID‚ including Medical Center employees with validUK ID
- Full Time Faculty/Staff at the Bluegrass Community and Technical College with a valid ID
- Full Time staff from VA Hospital (no spouses or children permitted) with valid ID
- Graduate Students at UK with Valid Graduate ID
- UK Retirees with UK ID card.
- Current members of the UK Alumni Association may purchase a swimming pass for $5 per visit - cash, check (payable to UK), or credit cards accepted. Alumni wishing to use this service must present their UK Alumni Association membership card and a valid photo ID (does not apply to spouse or dependents of alumni).
- Donovan Scholars and OLLI Scholars (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute ) currently enrolled in the program.
- Children of Students/Faculty/Staff must be 16 years of age or older to use the facility without an accompanying adult and must have a Dependent pass. See special section on children admission.
- Guests of those eligible listed above.
ID must be presented each time for entry to Lancaster Aquatic Center
Summer Clinics‚ Conferences‚ UK Summer Programs residing in residence halls, Camps – Must obtain special guest passes at the Membership Sales Desk of the Lancaster Aquatic Center. The charge for is $2.00 per person/day. Passes must be purchased in the Pool Lobby area at the entrance of the pool. Persons attending Conferences and Summer Programs must bring proof of registration to purchase a day pass.
48 Inches of Height Required for Access
The Lancaster Aquatic Center requires a minimum height of 48 inches to use the swimming pool. There are exceptions for individual swim lesson which are supervised programs.
- No one may enter or remain in the swim pool area unless an appropriate University of Kentucky lifeguard, supervisor, instructor, or coach for the specific program or activity is present.
- All program participants must be prepared to produce proper identification to prove that they are entitled to enter the facility and participate in the program scheduled in the facility.
- Children must be 48 inches tall for recreation swim. Children ages 6 through 15 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- Parents are responsible for watching and attending to their children while using the aquatic center.
- A family changing area is not available in Lancaster Aquatic Center. Same sex locker rooms only. 6 years and older must use same sex locker room. Balcony rest rooms are available if necessary, no showers available in balcony of Lancaster Aquatic Center.
- Admission to the facility is refused to persons:
- Having any contagious diseases or infection such as colds, fever, ringworm, foot infection, skin lesions, carbuncles, boils, inflamed eyes, ear discharges, mrsa, any staph infections, etc.
- With excessive sunburn, abrasions, which have not healed, corn plasters, bunion pads, adhesive tape, rubber bandages, or other bandages.
- Under the influence or alcohol, or exhibiting erratic behavior.
- Persons with street shoes are not allowed on the pool deck.
- No animals are allowed on the pool deck, other than a guide dog.
- No food, drink, gum, or tobacco is allowed in the pool deck area.
- No glass of any kind or other material, which might cause hazardous conditions, is permitted on the pool deck or locker rooms.
- Only proper bathing suits may be worn in the pool. Cut-offs with pockets and gym shorts used in other activities are not permitted. Apparel must be clean before entering the pool.
- All swim patrons are asked to take a complete shower before entering the swim pool.
- Swimmers using lap lanes should swim in a counter-clockwise circle when more than one person is in the lane; swimmers should talk to others in the lane to explain the counter-clockwise pattern.
- No running and no boisterous or rough play is permitted.
- No spitting or nose blowing is allowed in the pool.
- Rafts are not permitted in the Lancaster Aquatic Center.
- The use of beach balls in the pool is at the discretion of the L.A.C. staff; beach balls must be six (6) inches in diameter or larger.
- Diving in shallow water is not permitted.
- Pool patrons must be cautious in the use of diving boards.
- The diving tower and 3 meter springboard is restricted to use by U.K. varsity divers and U.S. diving teams under supervision of a registered diving coach.
- The use of S.C.U.B.A. equipment is not permitted in the swim pool except during scheduled classes.
- Swimmers are not permitted to swim under the bulkhead.
- No under-water breath holding activities: repetitive or long term breath holding.
- No bicycles are permitted in the Lancaster Aquatic Center building; cyclists must use the racks provided outside each entrance. Bicycles must be registered with UK parking.
- Posted lightning and severe weather procedures will be followed.
- Locker rooms close 30 minutes after posted pool closing time.
- Lancaster Aquatic Center staff has complete authority on all activities in the swim facility.
Bulletin Boards and Posting of Signs
All materials posted on Bulletin Boards (or doors) must have the approval of the UKAquatic Director and/or the Pool Manager. No signs‚ posters‚ notices‚ or stickers will be allowed on walls‚ windows‚ doors or railings.
The use of SCUBA equipment (air tanks‚ masks and snorkels) is prohibited in the Lancaster Aquatic Center during any Recreation Swim.
Special diving equipment such as the diving tower‚ radiant heaters‚ dry land one–meter board‚ trampoline‚ belts and rigs are for use only by the University of Kentucky Varsity Diving Team and by the Age Group Diving Team.
Animals such as dogs‚ cats‚ etc. shall not be allowed in the Lancaster Aquatic Center. The only exception shall be guide dogs.
The Lancaster Aquatic Center uses a web-based technology for closure alerts due to inclement weather (lightning and tornado warnings). The Aquatic Center will close when alerts are inside the 6 mile radius of the UK campus. The patrons must clear the pool and deck areas. Patrons can congregate in the locker rooms and the lobby areas until the pool reopens. The showers will be unavailable while the pool is closed during thunder and lightning storms. Please assist our lifeguards in clearing the pool and deck areas when asked to do so. The Aquatics Director‚ Pool Manager or Lifeguard Supervisor will direct in the clearing and reopening of the pool.
- Only children of Faculty‚ Staff‚ or Students of the University of Kentucky or the Bluegrass Community and Technical College (that have paid the activity fee) may utilize the facility.
- Children under 48 inches in height MAY NOT swim‚ be in the water‚ or be on the pool deck; they may not be on the pool deck in any capacity. (Supervised special programs exempt.)
- Children (of faculty‚ staff‚ students) fifteen (15) years and under must be accompanied by adult (adult defined as 18 years or older). These children must be 48 inches in height or more; Adults must observe the following safety rules:
- Adult must accompany child into the water and supervise. Adults in street clothes on the deck MAY NOT attempt to supervise children in the water.
- Adult shall not swim laps while child plays unattended.
- Adult shall stay within 6 feet (2 meters) of the child when in the water.
- Children 16 years and older must purchase a Dependent pass.
- Camps‚ Conferences‚ rental groups must have supervisor representatives present to assist in safety and supervision of children.
- Flotation devices must be US Coast Guard Certified and so marked plainly. The flotation devices known as “Swimmies” are prohibited.
Passes must be purchased by UK Faculty, Staff, Student and those listed as eligible users. UK & VA eligible users must accompany their guest while in the facility. Guest passes are $5 per visit.
Spouse and Dependent Passes
Cost for Spouse and Dependent annual passes are $30.
UK Alumni Association Members
UK Alumni Association passes are $5 per visit. Please provide your UK Alumni Association membership card at purchase.
Summer Clinics, Conferences, Camps and Meetings
Participants of such events must present event registration or UK Department letter in order to purchase pass. Pass are $2.00 per visit. Passes must be obtained from 10am – 8pm Monday through Thursday, Friday 10-7pm, Saturday & Sunday 12-3pm, in the Pool Lobby area.
Cash, checks (payable to UK), and credit cards are accepted.
Office hours for this service
Monday – Thursday
10:00 am – 8:00 pm
10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday
12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Locker rental is available for purchase with a three month minimum at $5/month. Cash, checks (payable to UK) and credit cards are accepted.
- Locker rental forms available in the Pool Lobby area of Lancaster Aquatic Center.
- Personal locks on day –use lockers must be removed before leaving the facility. The LAC staff is not responsible for personal locks left on lockers overnight.
- Towel service is available for free while in the Aquatic Center.
- Monthly rentals must use UK issued locks.