Sightseeing: Red River Gorge 2017
Date: September 10
Trip Description: Spend the day exploring the most scenic trails in all of the Red River Gorge. Trip cost includes transportation. Bring money as we will stop for pizza at the world famous Miguel’s Pizza for lunch. Bring snacks and water.
- Location: Red River Gorge, KY
- Cost: $20
- Registration: August 16 – September 8 at 4 pm (Johnson Center main office; Mon-Fri 7 AM - 6 PM)
- Cost Includes: group transportation
8:00 am: Meet in the Johnson Center
8:30 am: Leave the Johnson Center (2-2.5 hour drive)
6 pm- 6:30 pm: Arrive back in Lexington
Mandatory for all trip participants:
- At least 2, 1-liter Nalgene style water bottles
- Hiking appropriate (close-toed) boots or shoes
- A flashlight
- A sack lunch and snacks
- A small backpack for carrying water, food, flashlight, extra layers, and additional items
Recommended for all trip participants:
- Waterproof footwear
- A headlamp style flashlight
- Check the weather prior to the trip, and pack accordingly - dress in layers (cotton and denim are not recommended).
- Rain gear (waterproof jacket, pants, and pack cover) – even if it’s not in the forecast
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera
- Money for dinner at Miguel’s Pizza
Assessment of Difficulty: There will be 5+ miles of hiking on varying terrain. This type of activity will require a moderate level of physical fitness.
Environmental Hazards: Risks include, but are not limited to: hypothermia, heat-related emergencies, snake or insect bites, soft tissue injuries, dislocated joints, sprains, strains, fractures, concussions, and potentially death. However, proper preparation and adherence to guidelines will minimize many of these risks. The trip will continue through rain or shine. Participants may encounter wet and/or cold conditions. Trip leaders are certified Wilderness First Responders.