Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation FAQs

Q: How do I get my Vocational Rehabilitation benefits started at UK?

A: Submit the online Benefit Request Form, available here: You will need to complete this form every semester you wish to use the benefit.

Q: What is my benefits file number?

A: Your file number is your social security number.

Q: When will the VA send payment to me?

A: Vocational Rehabilitation benefits pay out on the first of each month, but they pay a month in arrears. The earliest you will see payment from the VA for the Fall semester is September 1st. The September payment will be small since the university is only in session for a few days in August. The first full payment will arrive on or around October 1st, payment for September.

Q: I received an email from the VA confirming my certification, but the hours certified to the VA do not match my actual enrolled hours. What is the reason?

A: There could be several reasons for this.

1) You are waitlisted for a class.

2) Your schedule has changed since you submitted your original request for benefit form.

3) One or more of the classes you are enrolled in is not fulfilling degree requirements. If this is the case, UK will contact you directly to let you know which classes are not meeting degree requirements.

Please note that while UK is required to report any change in enrollment to the VA, as long as you are certified at full-time status (12 credit hours or more for undergraduate students; 9 credit hours or more for graduate students) you will receive your full benefit.