Post 9/11 GI Bill

Post-9/11 GI Bill FAQs

Q: How do I get my benefits started at UK?

A: Fill out an online Benefits Request form, located here: You will need to fill this form out every semester you wish to use the benefit.

Q: Do I have to pay my tuition up-front?

A: No. Student Account Services is kept up-to-date on all students attending UK using this benefit, and students will not be penalized while payment is being waited from the VA.

Important note: If you qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill at less than 100%, you are responsible for the amount remaining after VA submits their portion of the payment.

Q: I received an email from the VA stating that UK did not submit tuition and fees so they are not forwarding payment. What’s going on?

A: UK submits tuition to the VA after the last day to add/drop is over. The reason for this is that all charges will be stable at this point and will not change unless you drop below full time.

Q: I received an email from the VA confirming my certification, but the hours certified to the VA do not match my actual enrolled hours. What is the reason?

A: There could be several reasons for this.

1) You are waitlisted for a class.

2) Your schedule has changed since you submitted your original request for benefit form.

3) One or more of the classes you are enrolled in is not fulfilling degree requirements. If this is the case, UK will contact you directly to let you know which classes are not meeting degree requirements.

Please note that while UK is required to report any change in enrollment to the VA, as long as you are certified at full-time status (12 credit hours or more for undergraduate students; 9 credit hours or more for graduate students) you will receive your full benefit.

Q: I continue to receive bills from UK. How long will it take for the VA to submit tuition payment?

A: Unfortunately, UK is unable to provide a concrete answer to this question. In the past, UK has experienced some significant delays in tuition payment for the Fall semester. Recent semesters have seen a big improvement on the timeliness of tuition payments from the VA Regional Office. UK is aware that the payment from the VA is forthcoming and although you will continue to receive bills from UK until we receive the tuition payment, you will not be penalized in any way while we wait for the VA payment to arrive.

Q: How will I know when the VA has paid tuition?

A: Students can log into their MyUK accounts and check their balance on the financial screen. The VA payment will show up as “Chapter 33.”

Q: I have other scholarships/grants/financial aid sources. What will happen to these funds?

A: As long as your other sources of funding are not designated specifically for tuition, and tuition only, an overpayment will be created on your account when the GI Bill funds are received, and a refund will be issued directly to you. Most scholarships are not tuition-specific. Some examples of tuition-specific funding are ROTC scholarships; tuition assistance from the National Guard; certain athletic scholarships; UK’s Employee Education Program. (Please note that this list is not exhaustive—just a few examples.)

Important note: The VA tuition payment is always the last payment to arrive. Other forms of financial aid will be applied to your account before the VA payment does and these funds will be applied to your balance. When the VA payment does arrive, any refund owed to you will be sent.

Q: I see a payment from the VA on my account but it didn’t cover my whole bill. Why not?

A: The only payment that comes directly to UK from the VA is the tuition payment. If you have on-campus housing and dining charges, those fees are not covered by the direct payment to the school.

Q: Can I use my Post-9/11 GI Bill monthly stipend to pay my on-campus housing and dining charges?

A: The only funds that come directly to UK from the VA are the tuition payments. The book stipend and Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) will direct-deposit into whatever bank routing number you provided the VA when you filled out your application for the Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits. Students can use their monthly stipend from the VA to pay housing and dining charges at UK but you will need to make arrangements with Student Account Services (Room 18 Funkhouser, 859-257-3406) if you plan to pay these charges in installments. Housing and Dining charges are typically due in full at the beginning of the semester, but UK is willing to work with students and families to develop a payment schedule.

Q: Do I qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program?

A: The Kentucky state legislature recently passed a bill allowing public universities to charge Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients in-state tuition. Since the VA will cover in-state charges for all programs, the Yellow Ribbon program is no longer needed. UK will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to send to the Residency office in order to update your residency status to in-state.

Q: When will the VA send payment to me?

A: The book stipend is usually the first payment to process. BAH pays out on the first of each month, payment for the previous month. So the earliest you will see your first BAH payment for the Fall semester is on September 1st. The September payment will be a small one since school is only in session for a few days in August. The first full BAH will arrive on October 1st, payment for the month of September.

Information about Transfer of Benefits

Please note that if you are transferring your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to your dependent,getting the transfer approved by the Department of Defense is just the first step. After approval, you must go to the VA web site ( and apply to activate the benefit, using your son or daughter’s information (e.g. their name, Social Security number, date-of-birth, etc.). After the VA processes this application, they will send your son or daughter a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. UK will need a copy of this when you receive it.

For step-by-step instructions from the Department Of Defense on transferring benefits to a dependent, click here.