Home Entertainment: 74.195 out of 100 possible points
The Home Entertainment contest is designed to demonstrate that houses powered solely by the sun can provide a comfortable setting with power for the electronics, appliances, and modern conveniences we love. The Home Entertainment contest gauges whether a house has what it takes to be a home. How well does it accommodate the pleasures of living, such as sharing meals with friends and family, watching movies in a home theater, and surfing the Web? How well does it accommodate a small home office for a telecommuter?
The contest includes:
- Holding two dinner parties for neighbors. Guests award the host team points based on the quality of the meal, ambiance, and overall experience.
- Sufficiently illuminating work areas and keeping all interior and exterior house lights on during specified periods of time.
- Operating a TV, computer, and other devices during specified periods.
- Hosting a movie night for neighbors, who rate their hosts based on the quality of the home theater system, as well as design, ambiance, and overall experience.
- Simulating cooking by using a kitchen appliance to boil and vaporize 5 pounds (80 oz or 2.268 kg) of water within a specified period of time over several days.