Anchored by one of the largest single gifts in the University’s history, the 378,000-square-foot Student Center serves as the "living room" of UK's campus.
It is a space for students to collaborate, study, dine, recreate, and most importantly — build community. The facility’s layout is designed to extend outside environments, inside, and represent the natural landscape of Kentucky. Features of the building will include:
- Dedicated Student Org Space. Students indicated that they want more space for their student organization offices — including the Center for Community Outreach, the Student Activities Board and Student Government. The new Student Center provides a dedicated area for these offices, with more space than the previous facility.
- Visitor Center. A beautiful new Visitor Center is located off of the skywalk leading from Parking Structure 5, allowing prospective students and families to enter this area immediately when they arrive on our campus.
- Martin Luther King Center. The Martin Luther King Center is located at the heart of the building. It houses cultural heritage information, program and educational support functions, as well as social and cultural development areas.
- Blue Box Theater. A 250 variable seat "Blue Box Theater" will be equipped with state-of-the-art technology, making it flexible for all kinds of performances from recitals, to concerts, to experimental theater and performance art, to dinner theaters.
- Senate Chambers. An 80+ seat, high-tech Senate chamber, equipped with video technology, roll-call voting and individual microphones creates an ideal space for Student Government functions and University Senate meetings, among other events.
- Social Staircase. Located in the center of the building and inspired by the limestone creek and riverbeds, a social staircase serves as an ideal space to gather in the Student Center.
- Residential and Retail Dining. An approximately 600-seat residential dining area, Champion's Kitchen, provides a large fresh food area. Retail dining options like Subway, Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, Greens to Go, Starbucks and other favorites will also be included.
- Outdoor Social Spaces. On all sides of the new and re-imagined Student Center, are outdoor social spaces for dining, informal programs and socializing. The outdoor spaces interact seamlessly with space inside the Student Center in a very transparent way, so the outside becomes an active part of the Student Center.