The University of Kentucky Staff Senate shall exist to provide a forum in which the diverse staff can work together to promote their common interests, needs and concerns, to create a stronger bond within the staff, and to encourage cooperation between the staff, faculty, and students for the long-term benefit of the University of Kentucky.
Article I - Name
The organization shall be known as the University of Kentucky Staff Senate.
Article II - Purpose
The University of Kentucky Staff Senate shall be the official representative body of the staff of the University, and shall be responsible for eliciting and expressing the opinions, suggestions, and recommendations of the staff on all matters of common concern. The Staff Senate shall review University policies and documents affecting staff, and shall make recommendations concerning these matters to the President and the Staff Representative to the Board of Trustees. Likewise, the Staff Senate shall seek representation in all aspects of University of Kentucky governance, and shall advise the President of the University and the Staff Representative on the Board of Trustees through Advisory Committees.
Article III - Membership and Eligibility
- Section 1. The Staff Senate shall consist of not more than 175 Senators. Senators shall be regular, full-time staff elected from and by the precincts determined in accordance with the By-Laws of the Staff Senate. Precincts will be proportionally created to represent the staff of the Colleges, Schools, and Departments of the University. At-Large Senators shall be regular, full-time staff who will be appointed in accordance with the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
- Section 2. Staff eligible to vote shall be regular, full-time staff of the University of Kentucky, as defined in Human Resources Policy and Procedure Administrative Regulations. Regular, full-time staff eligible to vote shall also be eligible to stand for election as a Senator after they have completed a minimum of one year of continuous employment. Exceptions to the minimum service requirement are provided in the University of Kentucky Governing Regulations Part V, and may be implemented on a case-by-case basis.
- Section 3. The term for a Senator shall be three years, subject to the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
- Section 4. Senators shall be elected by regular, full-time staff subject to the Election Rules stated in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
- Section 5. Each Senator shall have one vote.
- Section 6. Every Senator shall be allowed reasonable release time from regular duties to perform Staff Senate duties.
- Section 7. Ex-officio members of the Staff Senate shall be non-voting members
Article IV - Officers
- Section 1. Election. The Staff Senate shall elect officers as specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
- Section 2. Eligibility. All Senators, with the exception of Ex-Officio members, shall be eligible for election to the offices of the Staff Senate.
- Section 3. Duties. Officers shall perform the duties specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate and other duties as approved by the Staff Senate.
- Section 4. Term of Office. Officers of the Staff Senate shall be elected to serve for a term of one year in the manner specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate. Officers shall remain in the office until an election to select their successors has been conducted and the successors have been seated. An officer of the Staff Senate shall be removed from office by following the procedures specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
- Section 5. Limitation. A Senator shall hold only one office at a time, as specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
Article V - Meetings
The Staff Senate shall meet at least ten times per fiscal year as specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
Article VI - Quorum
A quorum for conducting all business of the meetings of the Staff Senate shall be as specified in the By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
Article VII - Parliamentary Authority
- Section 1. The Staff Senate shall be governed by the procedures contained in Robert's Rules of Order (latest revision).
- Section 2. Any conflict between the source cited in Section 1 of this Article and the Constitution and By-Laws of the Staff Senate shall be resolved in favor of the Constitution and By-Laws of the Staff Senate.
- Section 3. The interpretation and application of the governing procedures outlined in the source cited in Section 1 of this Article shall be the responsibility of the Parliamentarian.
Article VIII - Amendments
- Section 1. Any proposal to amend this Constitution shall be subject to the By-Laws of the Staff Senate and shall be passed by a 2/3 majority of the Senate.
Click here for a PDF copy of the Staff Senate Constitution.
Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open documents in the PDF file format