GEAR UP Kentucky 3.0 Summer Academy @ UK
The GEAR UP Kentucky 3.0 Summer Academy @ UK is a college readiness program at the University of Kentucky in partnership with the Council on Postsecondary Education's GEAR UP Kentucky.
The Academy @ UK will prepare GEAR UP Kentucky (GUK) students academically and personally for college - and not just any college. The Academy @ UK aims to prepare Kentuckians for success at the University of Kentucky. The instructors and staff of the Academy @ UK will introduce high schoolers to at least some parts of the four University of Kentucky Core Program learning outcomes.
A Real College Experience
We want this to be a summer of learning and fun for GUK students and their instructors. At the same time, the Summer Academy @ UK will run much like a real college experience with courses taught by UK instructors across the curriculum, study groups and co-curricular activities critical for learning at the state's premier research university. By the end of the summer's 3-week residential experience, the GUK 3.0 Academy @ UK students will demonstrate:
- increased college readiness by using written, oral and visual communication skills to produce and present original research-based projects;
- an increase in the academic and professional skills necessary to succeed in college and the workforce such as practicing self-discipline, inclusivity, and civic engagement; and
- appropriate social behavior and self-awareness and be able to express confidence in their ability to succeed in college and navigate the complexities of campus life.
Each of the academic offerings from UK faculty and staff will support and enhance these learning outcomes.In past years, students who successfully completed each of these components of the Summer Academy @ UK were awarded digital badges (Passport badges in 2014, Canvabadges in 2015 and 2016).
This year, successful completers will earn UK college credit (3 credit hours) from enrolling in LA111 "Living on the Right Side of the Brain" offered by Dr. Ryan Hargrove, Associate Professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture in the College of Agriculture, Food and Environment. Dr. Hargrove will lead the students not only through an accelerated version of this UK Core course, but he also has designed co-curricular activities that will support and enhance what the students are learning in the class. A final showcase and dinner serve as the capstone experience for all GUK students, their family members, instructors and counselors.
Students live in a UK Residence Hall for three weeks, eat at UK dining halls, and take classes in UK classrooms, laboratories and fine arts rooms. GEAR UP Kentucky supervises the student development counselors and residence hall advisors who work with students before and after classes. Regular communications between instructors, teaching assistants and GUK staff will take place each day, and the students will be required to journal each evening and reflect in ways that deepen their learning experiences.
IN THE NEWS:
Blair Hoover Conner, "26 Rising Seniors to Take Part in GEAR UP Kentucky Summer Academy" UKnow (June 8, 2017).
The GUK 3.0 Academy @ UK has been created by multiple colleges and units at UK working together on developing the goals and design of the summer enrichment experience.
For more information, contact Dr. Randolph Hollingsworth, 859-257-0047 or email email@example.com.
- 2017 GUK 3.0 Summer Academy @ UK - June 10 through June 30 with the Final Showcase and Dinner in the Woodford Reserve Club in the Commonwealth Tower of Commonwealth Stadium. See more on this year's exciting programming on the next page here.
- 2016 GUK 3.0 Summer Academy @ UK - July 10 (Sunday) through July 30 (Saturday). Read about the courses offered and the 2016 Summer Academy@UK here.
- 2015 GUK3.0 Summer Academy @ UK - July 6 (Monday) through July 25 (Saturday) with the Final Showcase and Dinner on July 24th. Read about the courses offered and the 2015 Summer Academy@UK here.
- 2014 GUK3.0 Summer Academy @ UK - June 22 through July 12, 2014. Read about the courses offered and 2014 Summer Academy@UK here.