Overview & Instructions:
ALCOHOL EDU COURSE REQUIREMENT FOR ALL NEW FRESHMAN UNDER 21
***Note: AlcoholEdu will not be available to access until Monday, July 16, 2012.
As part of the University’s alcohol prevention program, all domestic, incoming,freshman under 21 years of age are required to complete a confidential, online alcohol education course, entitled AlcoholEdu for College. The course uses science-based research to educate students about alcohol and its effects. Whether the student drinks or not, the course will help them make informed decisions about alcohol and better deal with drinking behavior that may occur around them. AlcoholEdu is used by more than 500 college and university campuses nationwide.
The course consists of two parts, both of which must be completed to satisfy this requirement. Campus and AlcoholEdu staff will never see individual student surveys or responses. Students will be mailed letters about the program and provided information during their summer advising conferences. To complete the course, students must click on the “Take AlcoholEdu” link from the drop-down menu associated with the "AlcoholEdu" page. It will then take you to the website's homepage. Upon registration, we would advise that students use the Link Blue account name and password in order for easier access upon returning for Part Two.
This part will take approximately two hours to complete. It includes:
- A pre-survey;
- A pre-test of your alcohol knowledge;
- The educational course;
- An exam, which the student must pass with a score of at least 75%; and a post-survey. Students may access Part 1 of the course beginning July 16, 2012.
- The deadline for completing Part 1 is August 13, 2012.
- If students do not complete Part 1 by the deadline, an academic hold will be placed on their account until it is completed.
After students arrive on campus, they will receive an email with instructions for completing Part 2 of the course. This Part will take about 20 minutes to complete and includes:
- Updated alcohol information;
- A short video; and a final survey Both parts of the course must be completed no later than October 25 in order to satisfy this requirement.
- Students cannot complete part 2 with 45 days of the completion of Part One.
- If Part 2 is not completed by October 22, 2012, an academic hold will be placed on your account.
The rationale for using these holds is compliance for data collection. This program and holds have been approved by the Provost, VP for Student Affairs and in partnership with the Registrar. If you have a student who is having an immediate registration issue or concerns about the survey, please contact:
Director of the Office of Substance Education & Responsibility